Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What top box?  (Read 7288 times)

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Warwickshire
What top box?
« on: February 07, 2017, 10:19:41 PM »
Hi all
About to pick up my XR and need to get a top box. The BMW one is a bit small and too expensive, what have other folks gone for? I am considering Givi Trekker, but the metal mounting plate that GIvi use looks a bit horrible compared to the standard BMW mounting, my top box won't be on the bike all the time.
Thanks

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
Re: What top box?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 10:40:46 PM »
The Givi V47 might be worth looking at.

Offline rmh999

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Swindon, Wilts
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 07:56:23 PM »
I have just ordered a SHAD expandable unit - bit like expandable suitcase - hard box but three settings / sizes with just a couple of clips on the inside. It is expensive but saves having to store different options for each use.

http://www.shad.co.uk/spares/sales-brochure-pdf/D0B58106.pdf
Also like the idea of a smaller box that can be expanded on demand to fit 2 * full face helmets !

Should get it in the next week or so...but am hopeful as I have had SHAD before and it was great.

Rob
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 07:58:05 PM by rmh999 »

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 10:11:24 PM »
None. A top box on an XR just looks bloody ridiculous. :008:

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 04:09:35 AM »
Concur!

:002:

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 06:34:48 AM »

:0461:, XR and a top box is like finding the coffee flavoured sweet in the tin.. :137:
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 07:28:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by rmh999 [+]
I have just ordered a SHAD expandable unit - bit like expandable suitcase - hard box but three settings / sizes with just a couple of clips on the inside. It is expensive but saves having to store different options for each use.

http://www.shad.co.uk/spares/sales-brochure-pdf/D0B58106.pdf
Also like the idea of a smaller box that can be expanded on demand to fit 2 * full face helmets !

Should get it in the next week or so...but am hopeful as I have had SHAD before and it was great.

Rob

Excellent, have looked at that option, but it still looks big in its smallest form. Still haven't decided what to go for. I need a to get a laptop bag in it as a minimum for the occasional commute. I think the BMW one is probably too small, and a bit pricey. I will probably for the Givi v47 but then once you've added the plate it's not far short on price of the BMW one from Motorrad Store in Germany. I hear BMW are bringing out a 49L box for the XR soon.

Offline rmh999

• XR Member
  • Town: Swindon, Wilts
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 11:52:46 AM »
I do agree they never really look good  but if I want to go away for more than a night then its easier that rucksack etc

Also when you remove it and leave at home it has minimal impact on the looks of the bike - so a compromise I am prepared to live with,
Also the fixing kit is just 4-6 bolts making it really simple to remove back to stock

I got a good deal with a discount on RRP and the liner bag (£40) thrown in the deal and it will probably only be used a couple of times a year ...I have been quoted about a week to deliver as they are waiting on more stock..

Offline ampj8

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 12:20:33 PM »
I´ve got mine with all BMW cases, initially wasn´t that fond of those but do accept that they are practical. In terms of being able to bring something to the bike and loading it to go.
Now I do think that if one wants to maximize the weight and carrying capacity there are many soft pack based solutions that could do a very good job the only inconvenient being that you have to carry them with you when you leave your bike during trips.
The cases do add weight this is why a soft one saves you some of it.

The bike looses not much of its sportiveness while loaded specially with the ESA so that is nice to have.

Nevertheless there is no case that makes justice to the looks of bike not even the BMW ones.

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 02:57:43 PM »
I do like the Bm panniers as other after market ones don't look the part, I must add that when getting a leg on you can feel the stability isn't as good with them on.
I've bought a rear pack which doubles up as a decent rucksack as it suits my needs, top boxes have never floated my boat but each to their own, I think you can't really beat OEM stuff for looks and simplicity
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.