Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hello from the Ozarks!  (Read 1490 times)

Offline danielt

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Alma, AR
Hello from the Ozarks!
« on: February 10, 2017, 02:22:42 PM »
Hello from the Ozarks!
My name is Daniel and I picked up my S1000XR back in November. When the weather is not snow or ice, I am loving every minute of riding this amazing machine.
I grew up riding dirt bikes (my first was a Yamaha 80) and bicycles.
Finally got my own street bike about 15 years ago with a 1200 Bandit. Then had a CBR F4i for about 8 years until it was stolen. Been off a few years and now have the XR. It met everything I was looking for. Sporty, track and two up capable, long haul comfortable, and able to handle gravel roads and city pot holes.
I look forward to getting to know more of you and maybe even make some friends.

Offline stinky1969

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Houston
Re: Hello from the Ozarks!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 02:29:37 PM »
Welcome Daniel!
Nice roads up there.  Wish I could ride them down here in Houston - nothing but flat and straight.  This is the best forum for our bikes.  Lots of info and great contributors.
Enjoy the ride - best I have had too.  You'll never stop smiling.

Offline Ringmaster999

• XR Pro
  • Ride today like tomorrow may not come
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Vale of Glam.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 04:39:26 PM »
Welcome brother :158: :158:
Live for today

Offline ampj8

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 05:07:13 PM »
 :400:

Offline roger z1b

• XR Member
  • Bike: gs lc / s1000xr
  • Town: wigan
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 09:37:39 PM »
Hey Daniel,

We rode past your house last year at this time to the day!
We stayed overnight at Russelville whilst on our way to Memphis (Called on Elvis naturally) and on to Orlando.  Picked up bikes in Los Angeles and rode them into Utah , Grand Canyon Amarillo via the 40 .  I only know this I have just been downloading pics this evening onto the laptop to free up space on the icloud for our next trip to Africa next week. 

When i was at school 45 years ago we learned all about the Ozark Uplift and coming together of the techtonic plates .... or something like that.  I mentioned it to the receptionist in the Hotel..  he said he ain't heard of no uplift.  I said you probably spent your youth studying about Raccoon racing or something like that instead!

The best riding I have done is in the last 5 trips to the USA.  the roads are wonderfully quiet,  just right for blasting around on the XR ... no wonder you love it.  I have one on order for March 1st delivery.  Just been squabbling with the insurance company this aft.  anyway I got him down to something like acceptable and we're away and ready now.

all the best  :305:

Offline roger z1b

• XR Member
  • Bike: gs lc / s1000xr
  • Town: wigan
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 09:52:33 PM »
We rode down through Houston the year before Stinky, we got in a bit of a scrape with a shitty waiter in some steakhouse who wanted a tip for his crap service and mixed up food order.  still we enjoyed the ride south of you along the Gulf Coast from Galveston to New Orleans,  also the American Deserts west of El Paso were stupendous.  Fantastic majestic scenery and lovely uninterrupted tarmac.  Doing those transcontinental rides in January can be bloody cold though.  We tend to use Gold Wings with heated grips and seats.  Also heated gloves make a difference .... when we were riding north of you it was -17degrees F. i seem to remember, but a least if it's dry you can keep motoring along.  Hap py Days .... I think when we come over in the summer we plan to fly to Denver and ride some of the mountain roads.

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 09:50:52 AM »
Hi Daniel
Glad to see you went for the classy (faster) white bike  :062:

I thought everything east of the Rockies was flaaat.... :164:

Offline danielt

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Alma, AR
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 05:51:57 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome!

*Originally Posted by roger z1b [+]
When i was at school 45 years ago we learned all about the Ozark Uplift and coming together of the techtonic plates .... or something like that.  I mentioned it to the receptionist in the Hotel..  he said he ain't heard of no uplift.  I said you probably spent your youth studying about Raccoon racing or something like that instead!
That sounds about right!

*Originally Posted by roger z1b [+]
We rode down through Houston the year before Stinky, we got in a bit of a scrape with a sh#tty waiter in some steakhouse who wanted a tip for his crap service and mixed up food order  . . . Fantastic majestic scenery and lovely uninterrupted tarmac.  Doing those transcontinental rides in January can be bloody cold though.  We tend to use Gold Wings with heated grips and seats.  Also heated gloves make a difference .... when we were riding north of you it was -17degrees F. i seem to remember, but a least if it's dry you can keep motoring along.  Hap py Days .... I think when we come over in the summer we plan to fly to Denver and ride some of the mountain roads.
Sorry for that experience. Usually, people around here are pretty easy going. It does get a bit cold in the winter, but at least we can still ride most days.

*Originally Posted by Jockser [+]
Hi Daniel
Glad to see you went for the classy (faster) white bike  :062:
I thought everything east of the Rockies was flaaat.... :164:
On the white, of course and it's sexy too!
I like to call northwest and central Arkansas the mini-rockies.

I'm liking this place already!