Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Headlights...NEED WAY BRIGHTER!  (Read 8644 times)

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Los Angeles, CA
Headlights...NEED WAY BRIGHTER!
« on: February 13, 2017, 02:26:42 PM »
I come from the world of Harley's where there is lots o extra space to fit after market stuff like headlight bulbs.  Upon inspection of this bike, there is no room behind the socket for the type of LED bulbs I typically use.  I know about the LAMPF error possibility.  I am sure I can make a load equalizer using a resistor to keep that from happening.  Anyway, 90 miles of Los Angeles traffic a day leaves me needing as much visibility as possible.  Has anyone found and LED (H7 the big bulbs) LED that does not have a fan attached to the back of it and is not an outrageous amount of money?

I have a connection at Headwinds here in California but I have found with LED's that there are only a few manufacturers of all brands and If I find it on Amazon or buy direct from China (yes all this shot is made in China) I can save a bunch.  A friend sells LED bulbs for $69 each, buys 100 at $10 each. 

I could do HID's as well but I have had a lot of HID's that had the ballasts go bad from all the viration of the bike.  Granted that was on a Harley, the LED's tend to last better. 

Also, who is smart enough to figure out how to have all 4 lights on at once?  If it has to be me it will be but visibility is key in my life.  Some sort of plug in module that alter the way the lighting works.  i don't care what is legal, I care about not getting run over.  I have NEVER been pulled over for having lights that are "too bright" on a motorcycle.  Post some links.  Lets get some visibility going on.  Thank you in advance. 

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
Re: Headlights...NEED WAY BRIGHTER!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 06:38:52 PM »
Found some threads.  I am in the USA so I prefer to not buy from overseas as shipping can bet pricey.  I did order the service manual from marks though as that is a must have. 

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 09:57:01 PM »
I've fitted HID's to mine, and they are way brighter than most LED's I've seen. The side panels come off easily, and there's plenty of room for the ballasts. They've been in for 18 months, and haven't vibrated off!

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 02:37:30 PM »
Thanks Rich.  I see someone (not sure if it is you as I am new here) did 35W in one side, 50W in the other.  That will probably work for me.  Did you need a CANBUS compatible ballast?  I am pretty sure that HID's are not going to draw less voltage than a halogen, and possibly even more but I am not sure if this will affect the system.  Let me know if I need a CANBUS HID please.  Did you stick the ballast to the frame or inside of the fairing?  I have run HID's on harley's in the past and the excessive vibration of those bikes will kill cheap ballasts.  Had to replace a few before I went to LED's on those.  The only potential issues with LEDS are less electrical draw and the hub fan on teh back of the bulb which would make it so that the cover for the light would not fit.  It would also be really close to the forks when they are turned.  Not sure there is enough clearance.  With the HID, drill a hole in teh light cover and run the wires through.  Easy peasy. 

Did your HID kit come with a separate wiring harness or is it just plug in to the h7 connector for power?  On previous bikes I had to add a relay due the excessively high draw of the HID and it kept on flickering.  I am sure the electrical on this BMW is far better than an older Harley but let me know.  I'll find a source here in the USA for the bulbs as I prefer not to pay freight from the UK or to wait that long to get them. 

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 04:15:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by anubisss [+]
I see someone (not sure if it is you as I am new here) did 35W in one side, 50W in the other.

That was probably me.
I bought 35 watt canbus with R rated anti dazzle ceramic bulb for dip beam & 50 fast with cc bulb for high beam
The 'package' came with the various bits of wiring harness to plug the existing wiring into the ballasts & the ballasts into the lamps

I mounted the ballasts inside the fairing replacing 2 existing bolts with longer bolts. Rich got the dealer to fit his  :037:

I've done 6000 miles, on bumpy Irish roads, and have had no issues

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 04:41:11 PM »
Jockser advised me on mine, so my set up is the same as his.

I've done around the same mileage, and have had no issues, apart from the LAMPF came on the other day when I went through a tunnel. I just tapped the headlight button, and they worked fine.

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 11:06:30 PM »
I'm torn between HID's and LEDs.  LEDS are longer but last better than HID's in my experience.  HID's fit the socket better but require running a ballast which is simple but I have had the ballasts fail numerous times due to vibration.  But maybe if I got a more expensive version they might now.  Who knows.  I'm sure they are all made in the same factory in China. 

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 11:41:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by anubisss [+]
I'm torn between HID's and LEDs.  LEDS are longer but last better than HID's in my experience.  HID's fit the socket better but require running a ballast which is simple but I have had the ballasts fail numerous times due to vibration.  But maybe if I got a more expensive version they might now.  Who knows.  I'm sure they are all made in the same factory in China.

We got ours from hid50.com and they're very high quality. :028:

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 02:57:09 AM »
clearwater

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master