Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Headlights...NEED WAY BRIGHTER!  (Read 11133 times)

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XR SE
  • Town: Basingstoke
Re: Headlights...NEED WAY BRIGHTER!
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2019, 12:40:50 PM »
Thanks for that. I have sorted the HID problem for the moment - it was the led sidelights that were causing the problem. Got a lamp error until I hit the DRL and off again and then they are fine (also couldn't put DRL on auto) for the same reason. Bit like yours - not serious but annoying and just got used to it. Am now using different LED sidelights that are a nice colour match and no problems so LED main beams are on hold for now but I will keep your link for the future in case :) thanks again.

Online advr6

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Burlington
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2019, 03:43:16 PM »
Hex ezCAN / Denali Cansmart will finally support the S1000XR as of next week.  This will simplify auxiliary light installation significantly and provide tons of flexibility.

I just ordered mine but probably wont install them until the garage gets above freezing  :002:   If anyone is interested let me know and I will report back in a few months once I get a chance to try them out on the road.

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2019, 09:56:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by Markymark11 [+]
Thanks for that. I have sorted the HID problem for the moment - it was the led sidelights that were causing the problem. Got a lamp error until I hit the DRL and off again and then they are fine (also couldn't put DRL on auto) for the same reason. Bit like yours - not serious but annoying and just got used to it. Am now using different LED sidelights that are a nice colour match and no problems so LED main beams are on hold for now but I will keep your link for the future in case :) thanks again.
Cool - glad it's sorted. Mine was unusable with the LEDs on dip (constant high beam flashing) until I fitted the resistor, then all OK. The intermittent LAMPF on high beam is liveable with at the moment, and I can't really be bothered with a resistor for that. I think I'd like LED sidelights - where are yours from?

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XR SE
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2019, 06:22:17 PM »
have to say my HID's from ledperf have been perfect. I think that all LED sidelight bulbs work differently and it is them that cause lampf errors in conjunction with how the HID's work..

The led sidelights are the 5th ones I have tried and were fine till today. I went to BMW to get the parts to make a locking cradle as per other threads and on the way back spotted that one of them had blown. Previous ones had died, broken, melted and fallen into the headlamp and caused the lamp error temporarily as mentioned. The ones I thought were perfect packed up today so I am on the last ones to try and am not going to recommend them till they have done 100 trouble free miles - they are these ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-T10-W5W-501-6-SMD-5050-LED-ERROR-FREE-CANBUS-CAR-SIDE-LIGHT-WEDGE-WHITE-BULB/132907512328?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Once I find the perfect ones I will do links and a write up - I am determined to have LED sidelights  :008:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 06:27:42 PM by Markymark11 »

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2019, 09:44:34 AM »
OK thanks.
I couldn't get HIDs to work 100% (intermittent flashing, plus high beam too slow to fire up, even so-called Fastbright) so they went back. Clearly some bikes are more fussy than others.

Offline barnsyuk

• XR Member
  • Town: South Coast
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2019, 03:31:54 PM »
I wasn't going to upgrade my lights, that is until I rode around in the fog one morning last week and then tried riding home the same day at night when everything was wet and murky down country roads without street lighting. To say the stock headlights are rubbish would be an understatement. How BMW can warrant fitting such a terrible lighting system to a modern bike is beyond me. My last bike, K1600GT had fantastic lights.

So I decided to upgrade, purchased the LED system that Merlin mentioned earlier. I'm now waiting for them to be delivered, they have to be better than the antique carbide things fitted to the XR.

I'm also looking at fitting some spotlights just to make sure I can see where I'm going the next time I'm riding at night on murky English country roads.

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2019, 03:40:15 PM »
Try them without the canbus-spoofing resistor(s) first, your bike may not need them. They seem to vary, some do & some don't. Make sure you check with the engine running, mine was OK with just the ignition etc powered-up. With the engine running the high beam flicked on and off like some barmy police car.

Offline barnsyuk

• XR Member
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2019, 12:02:09 PM »
Hi Merlin, As I'm going to be spending time fitting the lights I think I will just install the extra resistor anyway, then I won't have to mess about later if they don't work correctly. I'm assuming fitting the extra resistor won't mess anything up if the bike doesn't really need it!!

The kit arrived today, in a very nice box, with instructions, really good delivery service. I will get round to installing them some time over the next week or so. Did you have to alter the rear cap to make them fit? or are the LED units short enough to refit the cap without making a hole? Thanks.

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2019, 02:32:16 PM »
I didn't even bother with the OEM caps, the LED fins are pretty large. I got some Tomall 70mm rubber caps from Amazon. I made a small cut, up from the base, to feed the wires through, then secured the cap with a cable tie. You'll need to faff a bit with the connector at this end. Move the forks from lock to lock to make sure they clear the caps. Mine brush the caps very gently, but it's not a problem.
My resistor (dip only at the moment) is cable tied by its leads to the loom just above the horn fitting, and below the ECU connectors, so it's just clear of the RH frame rail and any other cables. It gets too hot to touch when there's no air flow. I made up extension leads, you get crimp connectors in the kit. I got some automotive 11amp twin core wire. Use a decent crimp tool with a ratchet to make sure the crimps are secure. They don't cost a lot but the usual cheapo ones are hopeless.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 02:33:53 PM by merlin »

Offline barnsyuk

• XR Member
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2019, 03:37:44 PM »
Thanks for all the good info Merlin, just ordered 70mm caps (LED bulb specific with a 20mm hole at the back) and extra cable. I already have a decent ratchet connector crimper tool, I learnt this lesson long ago.. :152: