Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dyna Beads in stock BMW wheels?  (Read 3127 times)

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Los Angeles, CA
Dyna Beads in stock BMW wheels?
« on: February 14, 2017, 02:42:47 PM »
Does anyone run Dyna Beads or Counteract beads in their tires?  I have been using these for about 7 years in all my tires.  They ride smoother and last a little bit longer as well.  When I need new tires (gonna be at least a month) I will add these. 

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
Re: Dyna Beads in stock BMW wheels?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 09:52:47 PM »
I've never heard of them. Tell us more....

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 10:34:36 PM »
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm

Put them in when getting new tires.  Don't put them through the valve stem as it is a real hassle.  Mount the lower bead of the tire, put the bag with beads in it inside the tire and tear it open.  Mount the bead on eh top half of the tire and fill with air.  Smooth as glass.  I sell wheels for Harley Davidson's and we have been using these as opposed to balancing on a machine with weights for that entire time.  It saves time and work better.  I have had all the arguments you can think of with people regarding physics blah blah blah.  Not looking for that here but if I can share products that make things easier with you guys I gladly will.  The amount goes by width of the tire so a front will take 1 OZ and a rear two ozs.  Mechanics who have never used them are usually skeptical and want to charge extra until you explain how to do it the easy way. 

Offline Beastinblack

• XR Member
  • Town: Chester le st
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 10:58:26 PM »
That's really interesting. I had never heard of this approach before. May consider this when I need my tyres changing. One thought though is that it wouldn't work if you use the puncture sealing stuff.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 11:40:20 PM »
These sound great. I wonder if they're available in the U.K?

Offline stinky1969

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Houston
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 01:53:19 PM »
I can testify they work on my company semi (lorrie) that I drive.  I, too, am about to replace my rear tire and will def. put them in.  I will be changing it myself, so I don't have to buy a home DIY balancer. 

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 02:46:06 PM »
Sorry Anubisss I must be missing something or a bit thick or not understanding this.

When you fit a tyre to a wheel you end up with a heavy spot, let’s say the valve. If you put a spindle though the wheel and hold either end of spindle the heavy spot will fall to the bottom of the wheel EG: the valve which will be at the lowest point of the wheel.

Your saying before you put the tyre full on the rim you add the beads to the inside of the tyre I get that.

I would expect the beads to roll around the inside of the tyre so they are at the lowest point of the tyre however as you move off at some point centrifugal force will take over and press the beads to the inside of the tyre how do they know to get to the heavy point of the tyre? 

They’ll just get spread out around the circumference of the inside of tyre.

I’ve been fitting tyres to my bikes for over ten years and use a thin spindle thought the wheel to help balance the wheel on an old swing arm, I use a thin spindle so there is no drag from the bearings and then let the heavy sport fall to the bottom then use the sticky led weights to off balance the heavy spot.  If the beads work, then great, I just don’t see how as they will be evenly distributed by centrifugal force or worse clump together in one spot.

I’ve watched a Youtube video on this and still cannot wrap my heard or the physics around it the way it’s meant to work.

I'd love to know the physics works.
After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline skapan

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000
  • Town: Toronto
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 10:06:55 PM »
I was talked in to trying these once, the wheel was unbalanced in a new and different way every time I took off from a stop. No thanks, the traditional method works just fine for me.  Oh yeah, the beads scoured a whole bunch of rubber off the inside of my Metzeler too.

So no, I don't use them on my BMW or any other bike.

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 10:33:48 PM »
Let the nay saying begin.  You can over think this and the laws of physics all day long.  The proof is in the pudding.  I have many thousands of miles on tires with Dyna beads.  There is also a product called Ride-On which is a liquid balancer that will seal a puncture should you get one.  Check it out here.  http://www.ride-on.com/tire-balancer.html

I have not tried ride on as it seems it could be a bit messy when changing tires which I usually do myself.  But, if you are careful I hear it is not.  Anyway, just letting you know what other kind of stuff is out there. 

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 09:35:45 AM »
Hey Anubisss, it's always nice to see different thinking  :152: so please don’t get me wrong, I love being proved wrong and I’m not saying they don’t work I just not see how.

I guess I’ll have to try the beads and see if it converts me.  :084:

After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

dysfunctional