Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Initial Impressions...First 600 miles  (Read 4191 times)

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Los Angeles, CA
Initial Impressions...First 600 miles
« on: February 15, 2017, 02:43:48 PM »
Picked up the S1000XR (2016 White) with 1 mile on the clock on Saturday.  I am not at 645 miles. It's been a long time (14 years to be exact) since I have ridden anything other than a Harley.  I have some fast Harley's that "handle well" but this is a whole new ballgame for me folks.  Don;t get me wrong, had an R6, ZX9, quite a few Suzuki Bandits among other bikes build for speed and handling in the past. 

The bike is going for it's 600 mile service today although the dealer near me is ####ing outrageous.  If it did not need the flash for the odometer I'd do it myself as it is difficult to justify the money for a glorified oil change and plugging a computer into the bike.  I have always serviced all of my bikes myself but have never owned a brand new bike with a warranty.  I can perform all of the maintenance without issue and if I get the computer I can do that stuff too.  Regardless, the first service will be done by BMW and I will come away feeling raped. 

So back to the good stuff.  This bike is simply amazing.  I am yet to ride it "fast" as the first 600 miles are break in.  But, the handling is razor sharp, the brakes are insane, and the motor is quick as can be.  The first mod was to peel off the XR stickers so that the entire vehicle is all black and white.  A sort of storm trooper look if you will.  Mine came with the Diablo Rosso tires.  Wow, they are sticky but i don;t see them last long at all.  I'll check out the Michelin 4GT tires when these are gone as I commute daily on my bike and a tire that lasts is important to me. 

I rode the bike through my local canyons last Sunday and was thoroughly impressed with it's abilities on all types of twisties.  I don't have the same complaints as everyone else as I understand a motorcycle is prone to vibration.  Sure, if I could eliminate the vibration in the right grip that will be great, but it is not enough for me to bitch about.  Set the cruise control, shake your hand out and keep on going.  Vibration in the mirrors?  LOL.  My Harley's are far worse.  It seems my front fairing around the headlights vibrates a bit so I'll have them check it out on the overpriced service today so see if they can fix it.  I don;t trust dealers and never will as they will probably change the oil, flash the computer and do nothing else although there is a list of stuff.  But...I could be wrong. 

I'd like to make my bars about 10" higher than they sit now.  That is my biggest complaint.  I dislike low bars.  I am sure that I can piece together what is needed for the wring extensions and clutch cable, however it does not seem these kind of things are designed for BMW's as of yet. This is an extremely common mod for a Harley.  The seat seems fine so far.  But, I really like Corbin seats so I might look into one of those.  I guess heavier bar ends will help so I'll get those eventually.   NAV 6 will be on the list as well as I declined the 5 when I bought the bike. 

I need some way to carry crap.  For now I am thinking a tail bag I can mount the the rear seat or the rack.  I have found many options but am yet to decide on that.  Eventually i will need saddlebags (I am American and that is what we call them) and a tour pack.  Yes another American term.  But...I cannot have something that makes the rear of my bike 4 feet wide as I split lanes daily and need to be able to slip through traffic.

My biggest complaint is that the foot pegs are so narrow, and the shift peg and rear brake pedal and so narrow as well.  I found some options for t he R1200, but am not sure if those will work on the S1000.  It looks like they slip over the existing pegs or something.  The lighting needs to be brighter is my other big complaint which I am sure you have read in another thread.  Visibility will keep me alive. 

So, without writing my entire life story here, I really dig the bike and look forward to many years of great riding on it.  If you have links or suggestions, please let me know. 

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 02:45:33 PM by anubisss »

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
Re: Initial Impressions...First 600 miles
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 03:31:47 PM »
Tyres
The rosso 3s are good but dont last long go for metzler roadtec 01 just as grippy and last twice as long

Footpegs
get the HP rear sets they are brilliant

Luggage

I use the BMW soft bag when on trips its a good bit of kit

Panniers on this bike just look wrong

Welcome to our world enjoy the bike
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline ampj8

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 09:22:48 PM »
Nice review, agree with all but I come from a S1000R so the XR is quite in the level for me.

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 10:27:37 PM »
I need some good pics of the HP rear sets.  We have a machine shop at work and I am thinking we can machine something but all the pics I find online are kind of small.  Anyone have a pic of all the parts that come with them?  I'd love to be able to produce a nice set of rear sets for less money.  We send parts to chrome, anodize or powder coat.  I'd like to completely black out my white XR aside from the plastics. 

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 06:31:37 AM »
10 inch higher bars.... :008:  You are joking, surely...

The bars on the XR are quite high as they are.

Offline cas

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Johnstone
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 08:16:01 AM »
Ape bars on an XR  :745:

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 01:36:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by cas [+]
Ape bars on an XR  :745:

This, I have to see! :745: :745: :745:

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 02:52:25 PM »
 I'm glad you guys get a kick out of it.  These are the lowest bars I have had in ten years and I find them uncomfortable.  I prefer to sit straight up as opposed to leaning forward and reaching down with my arms.  Feels like bending over (not taht I'd know anything about that) when I'm on the bike. 

On a different subject, got the red plug put in and now have access to Dynamic pro mode.  Have not used it yet as the road was a bit wet this morning but I'll check it out on the way home. That shift light caught me off guard on the way home yesterday.  5th gear (not sure on what RPM) it started flashing until I shifted. 

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 03:24:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by anubisss [+]
I'm glad you guys get a kick out of it.  These are the lowest bars I have had in ten years and I find them uncomfortable.  I prefer to sit straight up as opposed to leaning forward and reaching down with my arms.  Feels like bending over (not taht I'd know anything about that) when I'm on the bike.
Yeah but.... 10 INCHES ??  :005:

*Originally Posted by anubisss [+]
That shift light caught me off guard on the way home yesterday.  5th gear (not sure on what RPM) it started flashing until I shifted.
You can set that yourself. Can't remember exactly where / how at the moment but RTFM  :038:

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 04:44:49 PM »
The goal is to have my arms straight out from my shoulders.  I find this to be far more comfortable than reaching down in any way.