Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 600 Mile Service Costs...  (Read 4669 times)

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Los Angeles, CA
600 Mile Service Costs...
« on: February 15, 2017, 06:17:34 PM »
I need to vent.  Orange County, CA.  Quoted $347 with tax for teh 600 mile service.  I am at 645 miles so I dropped it off.  Get this, this dealer (which is about 5 minutes from my job) charges for a whole can of cleaner to clean the bike after the service is done.  So I asked if I get to take the remainder of the cleaner home with me.  Nope.  Quoted me for a new steering head nut at $24.71.  I told them if they replace it I want my old one back.  $15 a quart for oil.  $100 an hour for the labor.  This is a glorified oil change.  I can do it all myself except the flash on the rev limiter.   But since the bike is new i will do this first service here.  Then, they offered and recommended a brake fluid flush at $110.  The bike had 1 mile on it when i picked it up.  The explanation was that it was manufactured last year some time.  I laughed and told them I;'d bleed the brakes myself.  Unless you use extremely substandard brake fluid I'd say its fine. 

I really am floored and extremely disappointed how outrageous the price is.  Looks like I'll be doing everything else.  I am embarrassed to pay that much for this.  I guess most people around here don't care about money or make a #### of a lot more than me.  Had I known they were going to do this steering nut item I would have marked mine to see if they try to pass off the old one and charge for the new one.  Dealers are shady.  Oh, and $20 for the oil filter which I can get for $10.  I am sure I rubbed the service writer the wrong way but when told it is company policy to charge you for a whole bottle of cleaner and no I cannot take the bottle with me after paying for I am still scratching my head.  I shoudl have told her leave it dirty I'll clean it myself.  This is not the $6 that is the issue, it is the principle that they will charge for sh#t you don't even get.  Funny thing is my boss went to school with the owner of this dealership and said don't mention you work for me as I beat his ass when we were in high school. 

I work in the service industry for the Harley Davidson after market and I don't charge for rags and cleaner although it seems I should now.  Guess I really did not consider the cost of service on a BMW before purchasing.  That being said, I still love my bike and would buy it all over again.  And, on teh way home tonight I can rev the sh#t out of this thing.  I will plug in the red jumper tonight myself. I don't want to pay and extra $50 for something that takes 10 seconds. 

So, how does your dealer compare? 

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
Re: 600 Mile Service Costs...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 07:08:30 PM »
If it needed a new steering head nut why was that not under warranty ?

I will be paying way less than that for 12000 mile service and only paid £180 for the 6K service which included the brake fluid change !!

Tell the dealer not to clean it next time ( iwouldnt let them do mine anyway)

Its all well and good moaning but sir has bought a premium brand
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 07:38:20 PM »
The reasoning behind the steering head nut as that it might get marred taking it off and "our customers want it to be perfect".  Just an underhanded way for them to make money from unsuspecting customers who don;t give a sh#t about money.  This is by far the most convenient dealer to take my bike to as it is near work and i can get picked up there and dropped off.  The nearest to my house (which is 45 miles from work) is about 20 miles.  So, it is what it is.  This reminds me why I always service all my own motorcycles and why I go to an independent shop for service work when it is beyond my skill.  I'd rather support my friends shop than the dealer. 

Anyway, what gets me is I'm sure they will skip a lot of the stuff as I know how service departments work.  Bill 2 hours labor, work on bike for 30 minutes.  When questioned they pull out the BMW book and say see, it says 2 hours right here.  Guess I'm in the wrong business. 

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 07:52:13 PM »
Welcome to the world of BMW  :015:
They know how to charge alright but while there's fools like us who're prepared to pay for the experience they ain't gonna change...

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 10:25:08 PM »
I was thinking it might a little less than Harley...wrong.  Is what it is.  I have come to terms.   I'm lucky to own a BMW motorcycle and will do my best not to bitch about over priced service costs, especially in Southern California. 

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 02:07:42 AM »
Picked the bike up.  $327 US dollars.  Ouch.  However I was talking to another guy who waiting who told me he rides about 50 miles to this dealer to get his bike serviced as they are by far the best BMW shop in Southern California and they have more master technicians than anyone.  We'll see what happens when I get to 6000 miles.  I'm figuring about a month and a half.  Got my red plug and plugged it in as I left it at the dealer and the flash for the odometer was done.  I took the bike up to about 100 for teh first time.  Rock solid stable as can be.  Granted i was on the freeway.  It's gonna rain this weekend but I might get a chance to get this out on my favorite high speed canyons.  Time will tell.  After i spoke to the tech I felt comfortable about what he did.  One more day without rain so I'll use the cruise control in the AM and see how it works.   

Still a ripoff but it is what it is.  Thanks god I can order tires at cost and have a tire machine at work.  That'll be a big $ saver. 

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 02:58:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by anubisss [+]
Picked the bike up.  $327 US dollars.  Ouch.  However I was talking to another guy who waiting who told me he rides about 50 miles to this dealer to get his bike serviced as they are by far the best BMW shop in Southern California and they have more master technicians than anyone.  We'll see what happens when I get to 6000 miles.  I'm figuring about a month and a half.  Got my red plug and plugged it in as I left it at the dealer and the flash for the odometer was done.  I took the bike up to about 100 for teh first time.  Rock solid stable as can be.  Granted i was on the freeway.  It's gonna rain this weekend but I might get a chance to get this out on my favorite high speed canyons.  Time will tell.  After i spoke to the tech I felt comfortable about what he did.  One more day without rain so I'll use the cruise control in the AM and see how it works.   

Still a ripoff but it is what it is.  Thanks god I can order tires at cost and have a tire machine at work.  That'll be a big $ saver.

In the UK the dealer charges for the consumables only for the 600 service, NO LABOUR,  :046: so the cost is c£70
PSH

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 04:13:37 PM »
And the smarter buyer gets the 1st service included when he buys the bike as the last haggle
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 04:45:53 PM »
I bought my bike in a different state for $5000 off retail pricing brand new.  $13995 with Pro, etc etc etc. 

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 06:49:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by anubisss [+]
I bought my bike in a different state for $5000 off retail pricing brand new.  $13995 with Pro, etc etc etc.

If you saved that much on the bike then you are still $4673 ahead of the game :002: