Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Euro 4 Compliant Bike Euro 3 Akro can!!  (Read 5978 times)

Offline Ringmaster999

• XR Pro
  • Ride today like tomorrow may not come
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Vale of Glam.
Euro 4 Compliant Bike Euro 3 Akro can!!
« on: February 19, 2017, 09:33:53 AM »
Now this might be an interesting one. I had my new XR SE Sport delivered the other day so I can admire it over a cuppa and fit the parts I have bought before I get to ride it on the 1st. One of the extras is a lovely Akrapovic Titanium can bought at a very good price as it's Euro 3 compliant with removable baffles as the new Euro 4 cans will not have removable baffles. Anyway I spent a very frustrating hour in the garage yesterday trying to fit the can. It should be a three bolts removal straight slip on job. Oh no it just simply would not slip on as the two outlets on the headers would not match up to the can. Any way after that frustrating hour I called the dealer and asked if they had problems and perhaps had some simple tip to share but the answer was. Oh I wonder if the Euro 3 can is compliant with the Euro 4 bike! Maybe the headers are 1mm different or something as the removal of standard can and refit took all of 10 mins. They just slipped back on as you would expect the new can to do.
So as it was late they are going to get back to me Monday. I wonder, is it a slight difference or a rare poor quality Akro as there is no way they will match :034: :034:
Live for today

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
Re: Euro 4 Compliant Bike Euro 3 Akro can!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 10:19:55 AM »
Even more interesting is that on the Akrapovic website, the headers for all years have the same part numbers, but the silencers are different.

I've sold my silencer to someone with a 2017 bike, so am now concerned that it won't fit. I haven't sent it yet, so if anyone else has any advice before I take it off the bike, I'd appreciate it.

Offline ampj8

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 04:30:42 PM »
I just fitted my Euro 3 Akra on my Euro 3 XR all perfect fit on the two tubes good, copper grease then push a little to pass the foot peg screw through the space tighten all and done. Akra quality is top.
So if already the diameter of the tubes of your euro 3 Akrapovic can won't go in easily over the tubes of your XR then I think they won't fit and are of different specification. Are you sure the baffle is not removable on the Euro 4 version? Did you asked Akra?

I think most likely the inside material is more on the Euro 4 and maybe smaller tubes? Pictures would help. Again for me it was effective 15 minutes.

Offline Ringmaster999

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 04:56:31 PM »
Dealer is the one that is telling me that the Euro 4 compliant cans do not have a removable baffle which makes sense as its all to do with pollution etc. So not allowing easy removable I suppose goes some way to try and meet these reductions.

Any way there is no pipe aperture size difference as they both fit on one at a time no problems its when you try and put them on together that it does not line up. So this could be as a result of
1. Different headers in some way on the Euro 4 bikes and as such the Euro 3 can simply won't fit or
2. An unusual occurrence of a defect in the manufacturing process somewhere.

We will see tomorrow when the dealer rings me :021: :021:
Live for today

Offline ampj8

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 05:28:33 PM »
I definitely don't see Akrapovic making such mistakes look at the pipe quality it makes no sense. Therefore I think your bike can only fit the euro 4. Would expect this as BMW would not want just what you intend to.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 07:00:30 PM »
Looking on the Akrapovic website, their headers are the same for the Euro 3 and Euro 4 bikes.

Offline Ringmaster999

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 10:10:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by RichS1000XR [+]
Looking on the Akrapovic website, their headers are the same for the Euro 3 and Euro 4 bikes.
It is a strange one but there is just no way I am doing anything wrong. I mean two pipes two holes you just can't get it wrong. But they definitely do not match up :087: :087:
Live for today

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 07:15:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ringmaster999 [+]
It is a strange one but there is just no way I am doing anything wrong. I mean two pipes two holes you just can't get it wrong. But they definitely do not match up :087: :087:

Let us know what your dealer says today. I'm going to ask mine if the BMW part numbers for the Akra is different, and if they can get some detailed PDF's.

Offline Ringmaster999

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 12:07:32 PM »
Just come off the phone to the dealers and they are baffled. :112: :112: No pun intended. It seems that there is only one can listed but the 17 model bike is not in the catalogue so there not sure. Two options now. Wait and ride the bike to them on the 1st and they will have a look or they might come and pick the bike back up and take a look before hand. Will keep you informed :112: :112:
Live for today

Offline Ringmaster999

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 07:50:33 PM »
Little update. Dealer is confidant its the same can for the 2017 model. I started doubting myself and got the bike back onto the bench and tried again. No No No absolutely No is it going to fit. So taking can to dealer tomorrow so they can try and fit it to there demo as they do not want to pick my bike up and as it's not road legal until the 1st I'm stuffed. Il let you know how they get on :112: :112:
Live for today