Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First Longish Ride on the XR  (Read 2435 times)

Offline LDrider 191

• XR Member
  • No matter where you go....... There you are
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: San Diego
First Longish Ride on the XR
« on: February 20, 2017, 11:41:33 PM »
if you read this on the other forum -- just skip

So this weekend I took a longish trip on the XR - my first ride over a couple of hundred miles.  Trip from San Diego to Las Vegas is about 330 miles one way and Thursday I set out to attend a Sporting Clay shoot in Vegas.  (someone took the shotgun and equipment so I didn't have to carry that). 
I carry soft bags and have a large Givi top case, Bike had just had the 6000 mile check and brand new Michelin P4 - GT tires. 
I strapped on a water proof bag (glad I did) as I carry my typical stuff in the side bags - Tools, First Aid, Tire repair, heated jacket and gloves some boots for shooting (it was going to be raining) and waterproof shooting jacket.  Other changes went into water proof strapped onto the back seat. 

For comfort I have added a few things.  First -- beaded seat cover of my own making - 25mm Handle Bar risers, Bar end weights, SW moto tank back which house my GPS/Satellite radio, and a Ram X-mount phone mount.  Extra lights but that isn't for comfort.

I haven't been a fan of the seat on the XR.  Too deep a dish for me though I have found it more and more comfortable.  The beaded seat cover takes a little bit out of the "dish" at the expense of raising the seat height slightly.  I was kind of dreading 5 hours in the seat, though.

Left on Thursday - beautiful day if boring ride as it is mostly Interstate from San Diego to Las Vegas.  Doesn't have to be, but I needed to be there by a certain time.  Even if you go off the Interstate you will find much of the ride pretty straight and typically pretty empty once you get out of So. California. 

I can report - that I was absolutely amazed with a few things on the XR.
  One thing sucks and that is the Miles to Empty function of the trip computer.  The most it will ever say is 155 miles to empty.  Never really noticed this much as hardly ever used it and local riding typically had me running out not very far off that number, so never questioned it.  Since with such a short range I had to plan gas stops a little more than I like.  But after watching the 155 miles to empty - stay on for 40 miles it started to bug me.  Why have an artificial cap on this function. 
The second thing was that I actually got over 200 miles -- on a tank of gas - actually more like 230- or 240.  Running pretty consistent freeway speeds of 75 to 85 MPH.  I think the average speed on bike was like 66 mph.  Which did include some lane splitting in traffic in a couple of spots and a tiny bit of a tale wind (up until it turned into a pretty strong cross wind). 
Third -- I actually like the seat now.  It was perfectly comfortable for 5 hours in the seat (did stop to grab a bite to eat, so it wasn't a straight 5 hours). 
The Bar risers might be the best purchase I've made.  Totally comfortable seating position.  I have removed the rubber out of the front foot pegs (I'm 6'0") and will likely add lower pegs in the future. 
P4's had nothing to challenge them on the road and I hope they didn't square off after 700 miles of Interstate.  There ended up with Lots of rain in Vegas and on the way home (part of I-15 even washed out) and while I didn't really hit much for standing water - the P4's seemed up to the task.  It had rained here prior to the trip and the tires only had about 150 miles on them - so not chicken strips on them as I was taking it very easy on new tires prior to the trip. 
only problem was abs light came on for no reason causing minor panic.  I turned off bike (at about 80mph) and restarted and it cleared the warning light and it never came back on. 
Wind protection  - was not bad.  On the way home it was chilly enough for heated gear - and I wish there was a bit more wind protection for the lower part - for your legs.  Riding pants pick up a bit of rain and wind - Certainly more than I did on my previous Yamaha FJR.  Wind on body isn't bad (i almost always ride with windscreen lowered - even in the rain) not inordinately noisy or tiring. 
Still wish the handle bars were slightly straighter  - would fit my hands better. 
Only popped up to 100 mph for short duration - as there were lots of police on the road (it was approaching a holiday weekend) and bike was rock stable, planted and STRONG. 
the return trip on Sunday was cold and wet.  Not rainy wet, mostly fog.  Glad for the heated gear and grips.  But again bike amazed me.  Handles traffic (much heavier going home) and though the mileage was nowhere near as good, it still was around 200 mile cruising range.  Return trip is most always into a head wind and traffic keeps you from keeping a steady throttle.  This is "Californians returning home" traffic - which means ass-hats driving like crazy people all of whom are way more important than you are - so VERY erratic driving behavior.  You have to keep your defensive riding skills honed. 

As a touring bike, I was pleasantly surprised.  I tend to ride longer distances than most Last 3 bikes all had well over 100,000 miles on them.  I would surely love another gallon of gas on this - and with two it would be pretty awesome.  Some better method of mounting things would be great as you can only put so much stuff on handle bars.  I felt pretty naked without my V-1 Radar Detector, but haven't figured out a good way to mount (the Satellite radio antenna is in my tank bag.  Maybe I will use the BMW GPS mount????

So - i look forward to my next trip which will be up to Reno, NV which is about 550 miles - one way.  and the next will be about 700 one way.  Will be able to easily do a Saddle Sore 1K on this bike !  AND SMILE the whole way !!!

Offline ampj8

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
Re: First Longish Ride on the XR
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:58:05 PM »
 :062:
I also had some doubts over the seat but so far no aches.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 08:02:03 AM »
A Sporting clay shoot  :002: do tell in another life my wife and I used to get through 15/20,000 shells a year mainly Sporting and some FITASC.

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 09:30:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by LDrider 191 [+]
Will be able to easily do a Saddle Sore 1K on this bike !

Good to hear as I'm planning a lot of miles in August with this as a 'starter' - http://www.alpenbutt.com

What risers did you fit ?

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 05:14:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jockser [+]
Good to hear as I'm planning a lot of miles in August with this as a 'starter' - http://www.alpenbutt.com

What risers did you fit ?

Coulkd i recomend some big feck off 10 inchers  :046: :046:
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 06:24:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Redrick [+]
Coulkd i recomend some big feck off 10 inchers  :046: :046:

You could. But people would probably just laugh at you  :001:

Offline LDrider 191

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 08:10:50 PM »
Not positive, but I think Touratech.
  I do remember that there was a choice on sizes and I went with the 25mm risers.  No problem with cables or the like. 

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 09:29:45 PM »
Thanks man, I'll go & have a look.
What's the bets I end up with stuff I don't need  :015:

Offline LDrider 191

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 12:32:33 AM »
Gerhard's Rally, eh.  At least it is only for 6 days.  He will wear you out.  I was going to help with this and ended up not being able to commit.  Say Gutentag to him for me.  Great guy.  You will surely have fun. 
I know a small group doing Saddle Sores in the Alps a few of years ago.  they succeeded though I can't publicly mention their names.  I don't remember how many consecutive days they succeeded in doing 1000 mile days. 

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 06:29:53 PM »
"Only 6 days" !
I hope the HP Sport seat is comfortable enough...

I've never done anything like this before but I was planning a 3 week holiday out of Memmingen, shipping the bike & flying in, when I saw a link to the rally & thought 'why not' but now I'm wondering 'WHY??'  :156:

I'm definitely not looking to be competitive but I would like to classified as a finisher. I'm currently looking at doing the BritButt in May as a practice run / warm-up

dysfunctional