Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Larger sprocket.  (Read 2318 times)

Offline Leasky

• XR Member
  • Bike: XRSE and R9T
  • Town: Aberdeen
Larger sprocket.
« on: February 23, 2017, 01:23:48 PM »
Has anyone put a larger sprocket on the rear wheel (extra teeth) and if so, was there any reduction in revs?

I have been told that placing a 46 tooth sprocket will reduce revs by around 500 - 700 rpm.

I am considering this if it will make cruising a little less "revy".

Offline s1imster

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr se
  • Town: bewdley
Re: Larger sprocket.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 01:42:36 PM »
i would think it would make first gear very tall
fix it till its broke

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 02:37:40 PM »
More teeth more revs less teeth less revs  :002: on the back

You've spent too much time with shaft drive bikes Colin so you have not had the luxury of being able to change the gearing although I have on my 1100 but that's another story.

Might try a sprocket two teeth less as you can't change the front theres no room.

So that'll be 43.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 02:42:31 PM by Winger »

Offline skapan

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000
  • Town: Toronto
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 02:52:26 PM »
One tooth smaller would be about 2%, two teeth, 4%, so if you went two teeth smaller the revs would drop from say 5500 to 5280 (approximately). Not really worth the effort, unless you're changing the chain and sprockets anyway. You would give up some power leaving the stoplights, so if you carry a passenger it could make life more interesting.  There is a gearing calculator somewhere on the internet, perhaps Mr. Google can find it, then you can see the potential changes with any combination you can think of.

Offline UberSerb

• XR Member
  • It is better to be alone than in bad company.
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Novi Sad
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 06:14:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by Leasky [+]
Has anyone put a larger sprocket on the rear wheel (extra teeth) and if so, was there any reduction in revs?

I have been told that placing a 46 tooth sprocket will reduce revs by around 500 - 700 rpm.

I am considering this if it will make cruising a little less "revy".

Some 10 years ago I changed the front sprocket from 15 to 16 teeth and that lowered the rpm by 500 - 600 in 6th gear. It was a suzuki DL650 wich had very short 1st gear so the modification was true success and I loved it.  I remember that they also had 17 teeth sprocket in the same store, but I didnt want to go over the top.
So very roughly speaking I would say that with adding 2 teeth on front sprocket you will reduce the revs by something around 1000.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:19:49 AM by UberSerb »
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline UberSerb

• XR Member
  • It is better to be alone than in bad company.
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Novi Sad
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 07:15:26 AM »
this is the tool for calculating the gearing :

http://www.gearingcommander.com
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 09:50:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by UberSerb [+]
Some 10 years ago I changed the front sprocket from 15 to 16 teeth and that lowered the rpm by 500 - 600 in 6th gear. It was a suzuki DL650 wich had very short 1st gear so the modification was true success and I loved it.  I remember that they also had 17 teeth sprocket in the same store, but I didnt want to go over the top.
So very roughly speaking I would say that with adding 2 teeth on front sprocket you will reduce the revs by something around 1000.

Changed my sprockets and chain 2 weeks ago there's no way your going to add 2 teeth to the front sprocket and fit it in. 
If you need to alter sprocket gearing it'll have to be done by reducing the rear.
Just saying, would hate too see someone waste money on sprockets that won't fit.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 12:54:15 PM »
You'll not get one in never mine 2  :001:

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 01:04:47 PM »