Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Larger sprocket.  (Read 3461 times)

OW31 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Dutch

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: NorthernMichigan
Re: Larger sprocket.
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 03:02:54 PM »
Suicide? Could you be more dramatic?
Here's a few things to consider - The smallest radius the chain travels is where the most wear happens. Any increase in countershaft size increases the life of the chain. Also - 1 tooth up at the countershaft is equal to 3 teeth at the rear sprocket. Take three teeth off the rear and the adjustment puts the wheel too far back. One tooth up front moves the wheel forward - which make me happy. I made this mod to a first gen FZ-1 (Fazer) going from a 16 tooth to a 17 and it really improved the feel of the bike at freeway speeds. There were no problems with the bike in the tight mountains either. You could easily carry the stock sprocket with you and change it out if need be but these are 150hp machines - they can pull that gearing no problem.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2019, 03:15:48 PM »
Been there done that probably rode 30 miles took it off it hangs on the garage wall,with Akra headers and a PC the fuelling is nothing short of perfect as opposed to the woolly TUV approved stock option.... must have been using?? Another 20% more clutch slip to get the bike going hated it with a passion.

As for the suicide bit i’ve Only ever seen 2 bikes where the chain has let loose the one actually ran off the sprockets onto the road,the other blew a bloody big hole in the back of the motor because the chain jammed around the engine sprocket.

Offline Dutch

• XR Member
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2019, 03:38:21 PM »
An FZ1 pal had a (poorly installed) masterlink come apart and the metal chain guard was the first thing that went through his case.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2019, 08:04:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dutch [+]
Suicide? Could you be more dramatic?
Here's a few things to consider - The smallest radius the chain travels is where the most wear happens. Any increase in countershaft size increases the life of the chain. Also - 1 tooth up at the countershaft is equal to 3 teeth at the rear sprocket. Take three teeth off the rear and the adjustment puts the wheel too far back. One tooth up front moves the wheel forward - which make me happy. I made this mod to a first gen FZ-1 (Fazer) going from a 16 tooth to a 17 and it really improved the feel of the bike at freeway speeds. There were no problems with the bike in the tight mountains either. You could easily carry the stock sprocket with you and change it out if need be but these are 150hp machines - they can pull that gearing no problem.

I totally agree with you....and I when I took three teeth out of the rear I did take two links out of my chain to account for the adjustment. Go ahead, fit an 18t to the front.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline 2Bears

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2019 S1000XR
  • Town: Indiana
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2019, 01:59:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
Its much easier to not try and fix a problem that does not exist :-)

I know everyone is different, but I really can't see how making the gearing taller will do anything but make the bike worse.

I do loads of miles on mine and long days and I just don't see the problem. If you really want a low revving bike at cruise get a GS :-D

It’s unclear to me the why or the value of your post.  How many miles are, ‘loads of miles?’

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2019, 02:05:50 PM »
I have done 25Kmiles on mine now, and a lot of those miles are on days where I cover a lot in a day.

I am not trying to be a dick and I understand what people are trying to achieve, but the final drive gearing is not the problem, its the way the gears are stacked that's the problem. The first and second gears are already really tall and this will make them taller. On a mountain road I rarely see 4th sometimes rarely 3rd, this is going to get even worse with taller overall gearing.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2019, 02:35:53 PM »
Have to say i’m With Bazzer the X/R is what it is,as in a high revving inline 4 without a balancer shaft,what I did hate was the bottom end TUV fuelling what I didn’t expect...the bottom end is now so precise instead of the woolly stock option was shocked at how much more clutch I had to use by going down 2 teeth on the back and changed it back.

Offline 2Bears

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2019 S1000XR
  • Town: Indiana
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2019, 03:40:25 PM »
I appreciate the explanation.  I guess I just don’t get it.

I was fortunate enough to take a couple of bike trips this last summer down to Tennessee and North Carolina.  I rode the Tail of the Dragon and a lot of similar roads; as technical as I could find.  I didn’t come across anything tempted me to down shift into first gear to navigate.  A tight U-turn I’ll use first gear.

I’ve owned both a GS and a RT.  I think the XR takes off from a stop much easier than either boxer bike did.

Offline Dutch

• XR Member
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2019, 04:37:13 PM »
I live in a small town with just a few stop-lights - the XR get's used for longer rides/adventures - the only time the clutch gets used is start/stop. It's also interesting how the 2020 machine has the gearing changed to bring the cruising revs down.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2019, 09:24:50 AM »
@2bears I think a lot of it comes down to riding style, I tend to use a lot of revs, one reason for this on the XR is it has very little engine braking, so lower gears give me a bit more. The XR is also really does allow you to use a lot of drive when not totally upright and get off those corners so I like to maximise that when having a bit of fun in the mountains :-)

I still maintain though that 1st is pretty tall and with a pair of earplugs in the revs at cruising speeds on the motorway are just not an issue. I tend to use headpones if I have a long motorway slog and now with a load of miles on and heavy bar ends, vibes are pretty much gone. However give it a try if you don't like it then you can always change back to standard gearing  :152:

dysfunctional