Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Switched power source?  (Read 6749 times)

Offline JamesBond

• XR Junior
Switched power source?
« on: February 25, 2017, 05:30:48 AM »
I tried the one for the license plate light but the draw is too heavy and causes the can bus to throw a fault. Can anyone identify any others?

Online philbuck

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Cheshire
Re: Switched power source?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 09:19:04 AM »
I very much doubt you'll find one, as the canbus will be doing its job wherever you tap in. Most guys incorporate a separate fuse block (PDM 60 for me), and run independent circuits, each fully controllable. There are many types available.

Offline JamesBond

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 08:36:30 PM »
Found that switched source that everyone needs! it is Blue with red tracer right next to the Dynamic suspension pump under the seat. Nice 14 gauge switched power. :001:

Offline JohnnyBeGood

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 08:48:47 PM »
Yes, standard accessory sockets?

Offline JamesBond

• XR Junior
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 08:53:14 PM »
Admore Light Bar. The tail light on this bike is pathetic!

Online philbuck

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Cheshire
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 08:35:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by JamesBond [+]
Found that switched source that everyone needs! it is Blue with red tracer right next to the Dynamic suspension pump under the seat. Nice 14 gauge switched power. :001:

From memory, these are current limited to about 5 amps, which is good enough for most things, except heated clothing or air compressors (don't ask me how I know)  :164:

Offline Snormr

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 02:56:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by philbuck [+]
I very much doubt you'll find one, as the canbus will be doing its job wherever you tap in. Most guys incorporate a separate fuse block (PDM 60 for me), and run independent circuits, each fully controllable. There are many types available.

I'm about ready to install a PDM60.  What did you use for the switched power source?
Rob

Offline jskene

• XR Member
  • Town: Baltimore, MD
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 03:58:12 PM »
For switched power at the rear of the bike we recommend the red/brown wire under the front of the seat ( see photo). This provides enough power to run our lights, and probably other brands as well.

If you need more current, simply have the license plate light wire turn on a relay. Inexpensive relays, with their own fuse, are available on Amazon or elsewhere. This will also avoid the 30 second delayed-off on the red/brown wire.

Offline Snormr

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 04:02:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by jskene [+]
For switched power at the rear of the bike we recommend the red/brown wire under the front of the seat ( see photo). This provides enough power to run our lights, and probably other brands as well.

If you need more current, simply have the license plate light wire turn on a relay. Inexpensive relays, with their own fuse, are available on Amazon or elsewhere. This will also avoid the 30 second delayed-off on the red/brown wire.

Thank you.  Can you tell me what that wire is for?
Rob

Offline jskene

• XR Member
  • Town: Baltimore, MD
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 06:13:48 PM »
It's for: lap trigger, left combination switch, sensor box  (from rider's manual, P156)

dysfunctional