Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Luggage options that "reasonably priced"  (Read 4630 times)

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Los Angeles, CA
Luggage options that "reasonably priced"
« on: February 25, 2017, 01:52:15 PM »
I'm looking for luggage options for trips that are "reasonably" priced.  I'm in the USA so shipping from Eu is not really considered "reasonable".  Bags and a top case are what I am after and prefer a DBO (direct bolt on).  I alps prefer to keep the bags as narrow as possible.  I consider $500 US for all teh above to be reasonably.  Link are appreciated and thank you.  Luggage must be hard case. 

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
Re: Luggage options that "reasonably priced"
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 02:29:28 PM »
Consider the Kappa K33 or Givi V35 panniers. They are the same panniers but badged differently. They are 35 inches wide which is not too bad at all. I think you can get either a permanent bolt on frame for them or the quick release PLXR 5119 frames. I'm not sure on prices in the US but I would check out suppliers in Europe as the dollar is strong against the Euro right now and it might be economic to ship them from this side of the Atlantic.

Offline zed09

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 16 S1KXR
  • Town: Saint Paaul, MN
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »
I was able to order the BMW factory hard side cases delivered to the US from the UK for under $600.

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 05:23:15 PM »
So, I got the Outback Trekker (silver) 37L side bags, the rack, the Dolomati 30A top case, the rack, a windshield (Givi smoked) and a radiator grill for $1138 US dollars.  Ordered from Italy, no duties or VAT apply to us.   

Not sure on posting links on this forum but this site is widely used on another forum and has delivered without issue.  If anyone wants the link let me know but i don;t want to step on any vendors toes here.  By my tally at retaliate cost I saved $809 plus shipping.  Figure I bought online Revzilla or Twisted throttle, take 10% off still saved over $700 US.  I don't mind spending money on my bike, however if I am given the opportunity to save some, I will.  I work for a manufacturer of aftermarket Harley Davidson custom wheels and I know what kind of mark up percentage there is on these kinds of parts in order to run a profitable business.  It's a lot. 

Offline meurig

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Cape Town
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 05:23:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by zed09 [+]
I was able to order the BMW factory hard side cases delivered to the US from the UK for under $600.

Do the panniers fit a helmet and do you need inner bags?

Offline Gbjbany

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 s1000xr
  • Town: Sacramento, ca
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 08:15:51 PM »
Try v35 from motostorm  https://www.motostorm.it/en/accessories/luggage/2405.html?currency=USD
Only $32 shipping, and a good price

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 10:00:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by meurig [+]
Do the panniers fit a helmet and do you need inner bags?

The right hand (BMW) one takes my Caberg Duke alright. Can't vouch for other makes & models though.

The panniers aren't waterproof so you need something. Black bags for the dustbin would work fine but they're not in keeping with the brand image  :015:
How, in 2017, do get BM get away with having panniers that leak on a premium motorcycle  :187: If it wasn't such a great bike the little niggly things (leaking panniers, non-LED headlight & that clutch lever) might have put me off it...

Offline meurig

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 09:40:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jockser [+]
The right hand (BMW) one takes my Caberg Duke alright. Can't vouch for other makes & models though.

The panniers aren't waterproof so you need something. Black bags for the dustbin would work fine but they're not in keeping with the brand image  :015:
How, in 2017, do get BM get away with having panniers that leak on a premium motorcycle  :187: If it wasn't such a great bike the little niggly things (leaking panniers, non-LED headlight & that clutch lever) might have put me off it...

Cheers, will have to give these some thought as here even with discount they are 650 Quid and there ain't much of a second hand market as the bike of choice here is a GSA/GS, KTM or Africa Twin

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
  • Bike: HP Motorsport
  • Town: North Wales
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 11:40:34 PM »
I got these
Spanish made, possibly have dealers in other countries

http://www.shad.co.uk/shad/partimage.asp?gpn=W0SX15IF

Offline meurig

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 07:23:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by grizzle [+]
I got these
Spanish made, possibly have dealers in other countries

http://www.shad.co.uk/shad/partimage.asp?gpn=W0SX15IF

Thanks a lot, I tracked the agent in South Africa (TD Agencies) and the kit is about 23% cheaper than BMW. The only pain is that it seems you need the additional brackets and can't just load on the OEM brackets.  Otherwise it would be 45% cheaper.