Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine / frame protectors  (Read 1414 times)

Offline bikeysteved

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR sport se
  • Town: Beckenham
Engine / frame protectors
« on: February 25, 2017, 03:57:25 PM »
I'm taking delivery of a SE in March and been reading your posts and looking at a few options for accessories.

Would anyone recommend the engine protectors from R&G that bolt over the casings or are the frame crash bungs enough?
Does the black plastic look OK or are there better covers out there?

Any suggestions welcome, cheers

Offline Ned

• XR Junior
  • Bike: a white one
  • Town: sarf london
Re: Engine / frame protectors
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 04:14:24 PM »
Hi
I have R&G sliders and some metal engine case protectors on min which did a good job when I had a recent low speed spill.
I'm only up the road in West Wickham, so could easily meet up and show you.

Offline bikeysteved

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR sport se
  • Town: Beckenham
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 10:38:55 AM »
Thanks Ned, that's a great idea, perhaps next weekend at some point.

Cheers Steve

Offline ampj8

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 09:44:09 PM »
There is the YT from the Cuban Rider when he had an accident with the bike he has the bars don't know if BMW or another brand but they seem to do the work quite well. I passed on my S1000R's GB Racing engine covers, there was none for the clutch. Now I see these might protect the engine in case of fall but the exhaust won't survive!

I think at times should I get those bars.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 08:56:32 AM »
Over the years I've been as guilty as anyone fitting crash bling!! only to realise after chucking a bike down the road some manufactures actually do some home work.

Trawl the net there's been an instance of one kind of crash bar damaging the cases and of course it leads you to the said video,when you watch there are two things going on the first is 'How the hell did he fall off' but fair play to the lad he's been honest enough to own up to how long he has been riding so its not such a surprise then.

The second is how well the bike stands up to the crash so straight away it was a one horse race when buying crash bars,I bought mine second hand so I'm not sure if they come with a reverse template when new so if your a mechanical numpty pay someone to fit them as cutting the plastic from the reverse side is a faff and If I did it a second time I'd do a better tidier job.

My original plan was to have them powder coated but they come plated and in the end decided if was too much hassle because without getting the plating off so you could tie the PC in they'd chip like mad.

dysfunctional