Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: One crazy day!  (Read 2380 times)

Offline fasttrak

• XR Pro
  • Chasing sunsets at 90 MPH.
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Morgan Hill
One crazy day!
« on: June 28, 2015, 01:22:14 AM »
I had to get to Cal Moto for my XR's first service. I get there nice and early, 7:30, so the bike is cool and ready for some fluid swap. While sitting around waiting and drinking coffee, I decide to hit 84 to the coast and stop at Alice's (this is a major gathering spot for motorcyclist of all kinds, old and new) and check out the scene as it has been decades since I have been in that area.

Bike done, hit the road and get to Alice's about 10:00. The place is part zoo part rolling motorcycle\car show, pretty crazy really. Look over a ton of bikes, chat with a ton of folks and hit the road about 11:20.

Heading towards the HWY 1 on La Honda, about three to four miles West of Alices I am behind a group of four gen 3 Camaro. They are keeping a lively pace and everything is going smoothly, people in their lanes and all is good. Just before you hit the base of the valley there is a big turn out on the right side of the road, my side heading West, at the end is what appears to be a fairly tight left hand sweeper.

As the lead car gets to the point about to swing his wheels left, a motorcyclist coming up the hill blows the corner, gets into the dots and rumble strip that is built into the asphalt and loses the front end and sort of high-sides right into the lead Camaro. I lose site of the rider and figure dead man while realizing all hell is breaking lose behind me with a Camaro about to do a proctology exam on me. With the four Camaro coming to an abrupt halt in the middle of the road the Camaro behind me is very late braking or responding and all I have is that gravel strewn turn out and dive for the gap of the car ahead of me into the gravel. Everyone comes to a stop.

Remember the downed rider and rip of my gear off and make my way to where is he lying in the road. By the this point there is a vehicle stopped right behind him blocking the blind corner coming up the hill and about ten more gen 3 Camaro blocking traffic to the East. The lady and the guy tending to the rider appear to know what they are doing so I leave them to hold the rider who is very dazed and confused on the ground as he is being a bit combative. The lady is tending to wounds to a very badly injured leg and the guy is hold his helmet between his knees and keeping him from moving. The rider is conscious but badly injured, leg, head and other injuries that can't be seen, the Camaro had drug him for a ways before coming to a stop and there is a lot of road rash through the jeans the guy was wearing. He was hit so hard that while a group of us clear the bike and million pieces, I see his light duty hiking boot sitting just our side of the yellow line..

Sat there for over an hour while fire and medics make their way to the guy, they get him piled into an ambulance on the way. It appears he will survive with some massive leg injuries, both bones broken at least and some nasty road rash that will probably require skin grafts.

At this point my zeal for a great day of riding is not quite as bright, I hit HWY 1 and home.

Offline RobbiHK

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE (RED)
  • Town: Huddersfield
Re: One crazy day!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 06:10:49 AM »
 :012: Bloody Hell mate...what a day....I couldn't have been nice for you to witness such an appalling accident!!!...so pleased you were not a casualty also!!!...it also remind us to ALWAYS wear the best motorbike protection we can afford!....

Its times like this when we realise our own mortality!!!

Please be SAFE, BE SEEN my friend!  :305: :028:
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a car window!!!

Offline fasttrak

• XR Pro
  • Chasing sunsets at 90 MPH.
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Morgan Hill
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 03:48:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by RobbiHK [+]
:012: Bloody Hell mate...what a day....I couldn't have been nice for you to witness such an appalling accident!!!...so pleased you were not a casualty also!!!...it also remind us to ALWAYS wear the best motorbike protection we can afford!....

Its times like this when we realise our own mortality!!!

Please be SAFE, BE SEEN my friend!  :305: :028:

Thanks Robbi, I have been on both sides of the accident scene, having hit a deer a couple years back and several other motorcyclist accidents. They are never fun to be around but very sobering situations. Just sad this kid had no good gear on, going to cost him some nasty skin grafts, and was on a new bike and obviously a new rider. He should of spent some coin on gear and even more importantly, gone and done a couple MSF courses to learn to ride safely.

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 05:47:10 PM »
Great reminder for us all.  It only takes a second or two to turn a good day into a bad one!   :003:
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

dysfunctional