Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Poor dealer service and poor quality bike REFUSED to buy it  (Read 6778 times)

Offline Dave G

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr S1000rr
  • Town: Derbyshire
Poor dealer service and poor quality bike REFUSED to buy it
« on: March 01, 2017, 02:08:32 PM »
Today I went with all the excitement to collect a new 2017 S1000xr, after a 2 hour train journey to Williams of Manchester. I walk into the showroom have a walk round to see all the other bikes with their new owners names on plaques on the front looking all gleaming ready for collection. At this point i realise that my new bike is not in the showroom. On speaking to the manager who has sold me the bike it transpires that it is just in the other building. I then get told it will be a further 15 minutes with no explanation.

The bike then arrives at the showroom ridden by one of the staff. First look at the bike ad there is a staple sticking up inter the seat cover, there is oily hand marks all over the rear luggage rack/grab handle.
Worse off all the rear brake disc centre is corroded, all the brake line unions where they meet the callipers are corroded and the front disc has some corrosion around the bolts.

This is my third new BMW bike and every handover has been brilliant and the bikes have always been immaculate.

On pointing out the rust i was told that they can clan it off but BMW's line is that its down to the British weather, funny when i pointed out that none of the other bikes being sold today had rust there was no answer...

I refused to accept the bike having waiting 6 months from order to collect it as it was delayed with the model updates, i think it may be a reworked 2016 bike thats spent some time outside..

I have emailed the dealer with some questions, if no reply its on to BMW customer services as I'm out of pocket on train fair and having to change/cancel insurance again.

:232:

On the plus side for you guys I will soon be listing the following items I purchased for the bike.

Navigator 5 fitted with 32gb card- maps updated, never been out the house, still in original box.
longer rear hugger- still boxed in the house
Radiator and oil cooler guards still in packaging
BMW tank bag.
Larger screen in clear.

Offline Adventure Boy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR SE
  • Town: Essex
Re: Poor dealer service and poor quality bike REFUSED to buy it
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 02:43:05 PM »
What a Pisser mate I really feel for you how do BMW think they can get away with treating people like that who are lets face it paying through the nose for a premium bike !!

Rob

Offline rmh999

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Swindon, Wilts
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 04:23:31 PM »

That`s terrible -!!

I would have rejected it too - from your description -  suggest you try elsewhere and see if anyone has stock coming in and can get you on a bike soonest !

Don't give up its worth it in the end...but that puts a massive spoil on what is supposed to be exciting

Rob

Offline phantom92

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Grimsby
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 05:13:38 PM »
Hi Dave
My local dealer which is Marshalls of Grimsby, have a 2017 one in Blue and he assures me there is no rust on it.  Got mine from there and they were very good to me as mine was about 6 weeks late from BMW Germany. Lent me a bike when I wanted one and chucked in some after market parts which I had ordered for free.
Regards
Mark

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 06:22:46 PM »
That's shocking. Well done for rejecting it. They were probably banking on you being so excited you'd take it anyway.

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 10:04:55 PM »
You did the right thing, for sure.

Offline Beastinblack

• XR Member
  • Town: Chester le st
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 10:53:12 PM »
I think you should write to MCN etc. I've never heard anything like it and the dealer should be named and shamed for even attempting to deliver a bike to you in that condition.

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 10:59:38 PM »
Absolutely appalling think its more to do with a rubbish dealer than BMW you definitely did the right thing and if I were you I'd be pushing hard for reimbursement of your out of pocket expenses.
Not sure if it's any interest but the guys at Cotswold Mottorad Gloucester are fantastic to deal with they've even sponsored me on a couple of trips.
01452872600 Alex or Tom

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 11:06:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by forestboy [+]
Absolutely appalling think its more to do with a rubbish dealer than BMW you definitely did the right thing and if I were you I'd be pushing hard for reimbursement of your out of pocket expenses.
Not sure if it's any interest but the guys at Cotswold Mottorad Gloucester are fantastic to deal with they've even sponsored me on a couple of trips.
01452872600 Alex or Tom

I concur with you about Cotswold. I bought my XR from them and dealt with Tom and he was a pleasure to deal with. Excellent communications, arranged for a car to pick me up at the railway station, and also sorted out a code plug for me after I found I didn't have one. He put that in the post the same day I spoke to him about it. And the bike was prepared exactly as I expected it to be.

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 11:35:15 PM »
Bummer !
I remember how I was looking forward to getting mine a year ago so can imagine how disappointed you are. I'd have killed someone !

Don't give up, this bike is worth going to a bit more trouble for & other threads would indicate there's ones available