Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: NAV VI?  (Read 5491 times)

Offline JRE

• XR Pro
  • Have a day
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR
  • Town: Cincinnati OH
NAV VI?
« on: March 08, 2017, 01:20:04 AM »
Supposedly the Nav VI is supposed to come out this month (March) but I haven't seen anything yet and Google is not digging anything up. Anyone know when it should be available to order (for the US if it differs than the Europe release)?

I've been thinking about getting it. I pick up my bike in a few days...with those with the nav on the OEM cradle, is there a lot of vibration on there or is it pretty solid?
Joe

Offline phantom92

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Grimsby
Re: NAV VI?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 06:35:46 AM »
Hello mate
I had a trip around Yorkshire last year and the Sat Nav worked fine in the cradle, no vibs and the roads were not that smooth
Mark.

Offline cas

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Johnstone
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 07:46:48 AM »
Launch date is 17th March in UK.
Expected to cost around £675  :005:

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 09:44:40 AM »
Only the NAV 5 and, presumably the NAV 6 will work properly in the cradle supplied on the bike. There is another Garmin which is much cheaper but I understand that it is merely contained in the cradle - not sure if it charges and handlebar controls don't work.

Also if you buy a NAV 5, and presumably a 6, they don't have an on board speaker so you have to buy a BMW cradle if you want to use it in the car - rather expensive at c£80. I have one which works fine.
PSH

Offline rmh999

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Swindon, Wilts
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 11:23:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
Only the NAV 5 and, presumably the NAV 6 will work properly in the cradle supplied on the bike. There is another Garmin which is much cheaper but I understand that it is merely contained in the cradle - not sure if it charges and handlebar controls don't work.

Also if you buy a NAV 5, and presumably a 6, they don't have an on board speaker so you have to buy a BMW cradle if you want to use it in the car - rather expensive at c£80. I have one which works fine.

Can you connect to the Bluetooth in modern cars phone / entertainment system and therefore get the sund out through the car speakers - I have revently got a NAV V so might try it....

Offline phantom92

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Grimsby
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 11:42:34 AM »
I have the NAV IV and it works fine in the cradle and wheel controls work fine as well.

Offline meurig

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Cape Town
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 12:30:16 PM »
Make sure you get the locking cradle, it is normally a GS part but the dealer can fit it

Offline JRE

• XR Pro
  • Have a day
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 12:43:06 PM »
Thanks all. Locking cradle aside, do you need the 4-button cradle mount to attach it to the bike if you have the "GPS Prep" option? Again, I don't have the bike yet so can't see what is installed already.
Joe

Offline meurig

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Cape Town
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 03:00:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by JRE [+]
Thanks all. Locking cradle aside, do you need the 4-button cradle mount to attach it to the bike if you have the "GPS Prep" option? Again, I don't have the bike yet so can't see what is installed already.

If the GPS prep is installed, no four button mount required.  The toggle wheel does the controlling

Offline JRE

• XR Pro
  • Have a day
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 03:13:56 PM »
Great thanks...sure as heck don't need the speaker on the bike :)

I had a Zumo 660 that I sold with my last bike so I'm not sold on getting another one (essentially it's what it is) because Garmin's software for making routers on the computer is just horrible. However, there aren't a lot of alternatives. I haven't looked at TomTom too closely and not sure how easy their mapping software is and how well the units handle user made routes.
Joe