Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Radiator cleaning - (not flushing)  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Boxercup

• XR Junior
  • Town: RICKMANSWORTH
Radiator cleaning - (not flushing)
« on: March 12, 2017, 11:51:30 AM »
Hi,
I've only clocked up a few hundred miles on my XR.  Admittedly, my new ownership encouraged usuage in atrocious weather and the rad is now looking a bit sad with road crud.   A simple gentle hose down did improve matters but not fully and as it's the first bike I've owned with a full size rad I wasn't confident in doing much else.
 I'll own up here and now that I came over from the V twin dark side several years ago but some habits live on!
Any recommendations on cleaning techniques? Or
Comment on preferred fenda extenders and rear hugger for that matter? and bit more left field
Any experience with using a/c coil cleaner spray on rad?  This stuff seems to have potential.  It is amazing on a/c units.

Thanks in anticipation.

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
Re: Radiator cleaning - (not flushing)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 03:59:12 PM »
I would go for the Wunderlich rear hugger. It bolts on in place of the standard one and fits in 5 minutes. £83 from Nippy Normans including delivery. The fenda extenders are out there for the front, mine is a Pyramid Plastics one and also very easy to fit.

Offline ampj8

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 08:44:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bob S [+]
I would go for the Wunderlich rear hugger. It bolts on in place of the standard one and fits in 5 minutes. £83 from Nippy Normans including delivery. The fenda extenders are out there for the front, mine is a Pyramid Plastics one and also very easy to fit.

This is a good idea but my only concern is if it would be enough to cover both? the oil one is quite low.

Offline Boxercup

• XR Junior
  • Town: RICKMANSWORTH
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 07:51:42 AM »
Thanks for comments.

I'll get the hugger as soon as its in stock at Nippys. Looked at the extenda too.
 Bob S did you add more adhesive or use screws/rivets in attaching the Pyramid unit?  At first glance the couple of sticky strips look 'inadequate' for the job - or is this predjudice  unwarranted?

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 11:17:47 AM »
I used the rivets supplied with the kit to attach my extender.

Offline Leasky

• XR Member
  • Bike: XRSE and R9T
  • Town: Aberdeen
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 12:03:39 PM »
Can I please ask if the Pyramid Fender extender comes down far enough to stop the dirt going directly onto the lower section of the covers from the wheel?

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 12:30:09 PM »
My belief is that it won't. The standard front mudguard is very short and the fender extends by about 6 inches, but it would need a complete new mud guard that is much longer to give the sort of protection that most of us would like. I know Ilmburger do a longer one but I don't think it is any longer than the standard mudguard with an extender fitted.

Offline Leasky

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 01:08:52 PM »
My belief is that it won't. The standard front mudguard is very short and the fender extends by about 6 inches, but it would need a complete new mud guard that is much longer to give the sort of protection that most of us would like. I know Ilmburger do a longer one but I don't think it is any longer than the standard mudguard with an extender fitted.

Hello Bob and thanks for your comments; yes that was my concern too. I suppose we will have to wait for some first hand experience and see what the feedback is.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 03:10:40 PM »

I have a carbon fibre Imberger long front fender which is around 150mm longer at the back than the standard unit. Any longer would be too long. This provides much more protection to the rad and oil cooler than the short original unit and is very easy to fit
PSH

Offline Leasky

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 03:38:37 PM »
Good info, thanks very much.

dysfunctional