Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear indicator bolt  (Read 872 times)

Offline ibgarrow

• XR Junior
  • Town: Bardon Mill
Rear indicator bolt
« on: March 17, 2017, 08:32:07 PM »
My offside rear indicator has parted company with the fixing bolt-possibly clipped it whilst parking. The whole indicator has popped off the bolt, but it appears that the bolt simply spins around when I attempt to undo it to refit the indicator. Is there a bolt inside? Do i have to take off the rear light fitment just to access the back of the bolt? If so, what a pain!
The indicators look as if they can flex, but are, in fact, quite stiff and don't take much to pop off the bolts, either front or rear.

Offline ibgarrow

• XR Junior
  • Town: Bardon Mill
Re: Rear indicator bolt
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 05:31:25 PM »
 Well, that was a real pain! Turns out that the nyloc nuts into which the indicator securing bolts go aren't captive, necessitating splitting the rear light cluster. After removing the rear splash guard (why there are two different sizes of star bolts on this, I can't imagine), I found that the light cluster halves are secured by plastic rivets, with centre pins to splay them out! It was possible, however, to pop the two halves open with a little effort (praying I didn't break anything). Now it's possible to get a spanner to hold the nut whilst the indicator's refitted-a real pain as there's little room to work-get a magnetic probe if you can.
The light halves popped back again, but the bolts securing the rear splash guard also don't have captive nuts, and these drop down under the seat unit.
Now that everything's back together, I wish I'd hot-glued the nuts in place. Hopefully I'll not need to do this again.

dysfunctional