Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain lubricant  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Nabby

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Reading
Chain lubricant
« on: March 19, 2017, 05:30:03 PM »
After owning a GS for a few years, I now have a XR. I'm just wondering whether to fit a scotoiler or just stick to chain lube. I'm going on a trip to Spain later so need to make my mind up!  Any advice would be welcome as I never needed to worry about a chain before!
Cheers

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Chain lubricant
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 06:17:43 PM »
Just boils down to what your priority is with a chain oiler you will get a lot more mileage from you chain and sprockets and have the back end of the bike cover is scht or do you go for less mileage and keep you bike nice and clean.

Of course the next question is what's the difference in mileage and from what I seen and read I'd say 10,000 + miles.

I prefer the clean bike and spend 150 quid( or less) every 18/20,000 but it's each to his/her own.

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 10:29:29 PM »
Regular chain maintenance for me every time not only keeps the bike cleaner than autolube systems but you get to know the workings of your bike and can spot potential problems early.
Hate Scotoilers but 2 guys in a club I occasionally ride with have the Tutoro system which they swear by and I must admit it certainly has it's merits. However it still covers the bike in oil but worse than that for me is the amount of oil it uses, on my touring trips of 2500 / 5000 miles I'd need to carry a gallon of bloody oil.
Got 18000 from the  first chain and I can live with that.

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 07:27:40 AM »
^^^^^^
This

Scot oilers and the like need adjusting for different weather and are IMO a pain in the arse

SDOC white chain lube for me, very little fling. I give it a light coat after every ride and clean it with SDOC chain cleaner every 500 miles or so

12000 miles now and only adjusted when tyres changed
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 08:08:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Redrick [+]
^^^^^^
This

Scot oilers and the like need adjusting for different weather and are IMO a pain in the arse

SDOC white chain lube for me, very little fling. I give it a light coat after every ride and

clean it with SDOC chain cleaner every 500 miles or so

12000 miles now and only adjusted when tyres changed

SDoc 100 for me too   :047:
PSH