Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Met a nice chap  (Read 4455 times)

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
Met a nice chap
« on: March 20, 2017, 07:06:50 PM »
Yesterday whilst out and about

Name of Chris from Barnsley with his new XR after having just done Direct access !

How Brave is he  ?so top lad  to be congratulated and i wish him well
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
Re: Met a nice chap
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 07:42:21 PM »
Bloody hell, straight after his test and on to an XR???? :005:

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 07:56:48 PM »
Not a good idea really. Remember a lad passing his test when I was instructing went straight out and bought a R1 dead within a week. Thankfully I didn't teach him it was one of my colleagues. At least these days the test is done in stages.

At least the S1XR is full of safety features and despite it's power is a very safe bike to ride.

Offline JRE

• XR Pro
  • Have a day
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR
  • Town: Cincinnati OH
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 08:06:24 PM »
My first street bike was a CBR600F4 but to be fair, I had many years of dirt riding under my belt. Still, on my way home from buying it, I had a death grip on the bars and tank with my knees. It was way more power than anything I had ridden before.

That's said, I'm glad my first bike wasn't the SXR...it's a beast and you can get in trouble in a hurry on it. No way I would recommend it to anyone for a first bike, regardless of off-road experience.
Joe

Offline ampj8

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 09:41:16 PM »
Me tend to agree that the XR could be a good first bike. If it is only the power the issue because all the rest is top specs.

I have had more nervous bikes that require more attention even if these had electronic aids and so on. Whenever I jump back to the XR I can see how it makes all easy to do. Therefore my conclusion that it could be a good first bike.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 10:14:30 PM »
I blame the system that allows anyone to do that.

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 10:35:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
I blame the system that allows anyone to do that.

The trouble with the system is that no system is perfect. It is better than pre 1997 when you could rock up for your test an auto or manual 125, pass and then have a full licence to jump on whatever you like. But what happens if someone takes their test, having trained over a week to two week period, passes and then doesn't ride a bike for a few years? I had that situation when I was presented with 3 actors who needed to ride  a bike for a role in a TV drama. One had a full bike licence which he had gained doing a five day intensive course, passed his test, and then not ridden for 6 years. He had forgotten everything and he was worse than the two lads who were complete novices.

Offline Ringmaster999

• XR Pro
  • Ride today like tomorrow may not come
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Vale of Glam.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 11:13:36 PM »
IMHO it's all down to freedom of choice and long may that continue. I'm not saying it's a good idea to pass a direct access and then buy an XR but it's his choice. Lets be fair if you really take a safety at all cost view NO ONE should be allowed to buy an XR or anything else that is capable of in excess of twice the National Speed Limit for a Multi lane carriageway. Why on earth does any one want a 165bhp bike for the road. Why? Because you are allowed to make that choice and then behave responsibly. So lets not be judgemental on a man who has made his choice as who knows he might be just like the rest of us and be very responsible about owning such a ridiculously powerful road bike that we of course never use to any where near it's potential as that would be illegal on the road :037: :037:
Live for today

Offline Norbs

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 11:40:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ringmaster999 [+]
IMHO it's all down to freedom of choice and long may that continue. I'm not saying it's a good idea to pass a direct access and then buy an XR but it's his choice. Lets be fair if you really take a safety at all cost view NO ONE should be allowed to buy an XR or anything else that is capable of in excess of twice the National Speed Limit for a Multi lane carriageway. Why on earth does any one want a 165bhp bike for the road. Why? Because you are allowed to make that choice and then behave responsibly. So lets not be judgemental on a man who has made his choice as who knows he might be just like the rest of us and be very responsible about owning such a ridiculously powerful road bike that we of course never use to any where near it's potential as that would be illegal on the road :037: :037:

Well said that man! People are trained and tested to drive much more dangerous vehicles than a motorbike at similar tender ages with similar in-experience. I do think its a shame for people to miss out on learning their craft going up through the categories though. Each to their own.

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 12:02:02 AM »
Madness!  An XR is totally unsuitable as a 1st bike!

Too much power....smooth...addictive power, compounded with seriously powerful front brakes...next thing he has overcooked it into a corner and he is on his arse.

Very tall.  Tricky to manoeuvre around if you are inexperienced.

A disaster waiting to happen.