Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gear lever adjustment ??  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Adventure Boy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR SE
  • Town: Essex
Gear lever adjustment ??
« on: March 25, 2017, 07:55:43 PM »
Can anyone please tell me how to adjust the gear lever, its a bit too high
ive tried as I would do with any normal bike but on this its not happening

Ive loosened the nut at the engine end of the shift bar but there isnt a nut at the quickshifter end of the bar so it wont turn to lower the lever  am I missing something ??

Thanks
Rob

Offline Ant

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Gear lever adjustment ??
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 03:06:25 AM »
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can adjust the lever because of the gear shift assist. I have a pair of BMW touring boots from when I had my RT and they're too tall at the toe and I have a hell of a time getting it under the shifter. The only info I could find is that if you want to be able to adjust the shifter you need an aftermarket one that is longer and is adjustable like the one in the link:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-adjustable-folding-shift-lever-for-bmw-s1000xr-15-16

Offline Adventure Boy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR SE
  • Town: Essex
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 08:04:34 AM »
Cheers Ant i could not find a way and suspected that
Rob

Offline Artful

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Leven, Fife
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 07:07:26 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I'll post anyway lol.

I emailed Sw Motech regarding that gear lever they sell for the XR.

Its only the toe peg that adjusts back and forth. There is no height adjustment.

My pal who knows way more about bikes than I do (and that's not hard) had a look at mine today and he's positive that by  removing the little bolt that holds the mechanism onto the spleen that goes into the gearbox. Then rotating clockwise, that should lower that peg. You then just put the bolt back in and tighten.

Admit to being a bit dubious but he's convinced it will work.

If I let him loose on it I will report back on my findings.

cheers
Dave

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 02:26:46 AM »
Artful, your mate is right, you can adjust it....just crack the 10mm nut on the top (gearbox) end of the shaft to loosen it, it's right hand thread BTW, then undo the torx bolt at the gearbox end of the shift shaft...(under the top rubber cover), unscrew it, (CCW) 1 turn to lengthen the shaft slightly, (which will raise the gear lever), and re-assemble...I had the same issue where my boots were a bit tall at the toe, this fixed it for me..! :169: If you turn it in, (CW), or shorten the shaft, it will lower the gear lever slightly.
If you need more adjustment, do the same at the other end of the shaft.
Has no effect on the quick-shift at all.

Cheers,
Smithy
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:32:29 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Ant

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 03:27:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Artful, your mate is right, you can adjust it....just crack the 10mm nut on the top (gearbox) end of the shaft to loosen it, it's right hand thread BTW, then undo the torx bolt at the gearbox end of the shift shaft...(under the top rubber cover), unscrew it, (CCW) 1 turn to lengthen the shaft slightly, (which will raise the gear lever), and re-assemble...I had the same issue where my boots were a bit tall at the toe, this fixed it for me..! :169: If you turn it in, (CW), or shorten the shaft, it will lower the gear lever slightly.
If you need more adjustment, do the same at the other end of the shaft.
Has no effect on the quick-shift at all.

Cheers,
Smithy

If not too much trouble could you take a pic and post what you are describing for the mechanically challenged like myself?

Offline wheels

• XR Junior
  • Bike: White one
  • Town: Petaluma,CA
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 06:27:09 AM »
Smithy nailed it. I did the same to mine for my big ass Sidi's.
Wheels

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 06:26:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ant [+]
If not too much trouble could you take a pic and post what you are describing for the mechanically challenged like myself?

Certainly..!
As can be seen in the first pic, the nut just near the rubber "Heim Joint" boot, (just above the front sprocket cover), it's 10mm so just crack it loose, (it's right hand thread btw), then pull back the rubber boot as in the second pic... and undo the Torx screw...it has loctite thread lock on it so will be tight-ish to remove all the way. Then undo the joint CCW 1/2 or 1 full turn to make the shaft a tad longer.... to re-assemble, clean the torx screw threads and re-apply some medium strength loctite as necessary and torque up the screw...then nip up the 10mm locking nut on the shaft, it doesn't need to be super tight, just nice and snug ...you'll need to check the gear lever height and adjust to suit yourself and your boots...Job done..! :028:
If you need further adjustment, I'd suggest doing the same at the other end of the shaft as there may not be an adequate/safe amount of thread left at the top end joint...you'll need to remove the foot-peg rearset assy to get access to the Torx screw at the bottom end though.

Making the shift shaft longer will raise the gear lever.... and obviously making it shorter will have the opposite effect..! :016:

As mentioned previously, this has no effect on the quick-shift...so all good..! :152:

Cheers,
Smithy.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 07:08:50 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Artful

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Leven, Fife
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 06:46:39 PM »
Thanks for that Smithy,

That's actually a different way to which my mate described but as your way is proven to work, I'll just do that.

What my mate was going to do is loosen the bolt that clamps onto the gearbox spleen (the one in your pics above the bit you did).

He said all you would need to do is loosen it right off, move the bit you finger is pointed at left to lower or right to raise. Then tighten it back up.

Obviously the little nick you see wouldn't line up as it is now but that's just for the assembly of the bike anyway and isn't important.

Thanks for the detailed reply though and you've saved me £711inc fitting for the rearsets.

Dave

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 06:57:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Artful [+]
Thanks for that Smithy,

That's actually a different way to which my mate described but as your way is proven to work, I'll just do that.

What my mate was going to do is loosen the bolt that clamps onto the gearbox spleen (the one in your pics above the bit you did).

He said all you would need to do is loosen it right off, move the bit you finger is pointed at left to lower or right to raise. Then tighten it back up.

Obviously the little nick you see wouldn't line up as it is now but that's just for the assembly of the bike anyway and isn't important.

Thanks for the detailed reply though and you've saved me £711inc fitting for the rearsets.

Dave

Your mate's method would possibly work, we used to do this sort of thing on bikes without a linkage like the XR has... but I suspect just "one spline" either way may be "too much" adjustment and would possibly equate to 2-3 threads on the shaft joint ...the method I show will allow you to make smaller adjustments to suit, I suspect BMW have put the adjustment there for this reason...if they didn't want people to adjust it, they would have fitted a solid "un-adjustable" shaft.

Cheers,
Smithy.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 07:17:02 PM by smithy »

dysfunctional