Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Member  (Read 2124 times)

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Dana Point, CA.
« on: March 26, 2017, 09:40:06 AM »
Hello:

I live in Dana Point, CA./ 66 years-old and have been riding for about 22 years (I thank Jesus for no accidents/ never been down, and provides me the skill to still ride fast when I want/ no chicken strips).

I mainly ride N/ S San Diego County, which has various great roads from desert to sea, to curvy mountain roads/ great scenery/ not many police. I used to love going to Malibu canyon/ Angeles Crest, however having to go through Los Angeles traffic to get there, then coming home is a pain/ not to mention numerous police/ riders/ sightseers). 

My last 6 bikes in a row have been Beemer opposed twins (R & GS models). Anyway, I got my "fully loaded" 2016 S1000XR because it fits me best, compared to all other models. Also, it provides all day Comfort to excellent Corner Carving abilities (IMO, this is some-kind of motorcycle/ best I’ve owned). Also, its wide “usable” range of power is awesome (when I nailed it for the first time at around 6K RPM to redline in second gear was a real wake-up call/ got my attention).

All that I needed to do on my XR was get an Oil/ Radiator Guard – Front Fender Extender – Kick Stand Enlarger - Plastic Headlight Protectors. I find the stock O.E.M. windscreen and seat are very good, as in VERY GOOD/ no need to change. Also, the “buzz” at 5K, which some complain about doesn’t bother me, in fact “IMO” the XR’s vibes are equal in a different kind of way to my previous 1200 opposed twins, which is acceptable to me (heck, its a motorcycle/ not a Volvo).

Only complaint I guess is the “chain maintenance/ lubing”, which is a small price to pay for such an incredible motorcycle.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:49:27 AM by mike k »
mike k

Offline Ringmaster999

• XR Pro
  • Ride today like tomorrow may not come
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Vale of Glam.
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 09:53:16 AM »
Welcome Bother. Ride Safe :001:
Live for today

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Canterbury
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 11:04:58 AM »
 :400: Mike K

Definitely some envy from me of your riding location!  For a couple of years in 2003 / 2004 I lived in San Diego (Coronado) and my favourite riding areas were East out through Lyons Valley and Japatul Valley to Mt. Laguna (Sunrise Highway might be my favourite road in the world), up to Julian, Santa Ysabel and Mesa Grande to Palomar.  Up the “tight side” of Palomar and down the “fast side”, then back to Santa Ysabel for lunch and home via Ramona and El Cajon.  As well as the fantastic curvy roads the climate was a revelation after the UK and I was riding virtually 12 months of the year, I well remember one memorable December ride leaving home with the temperature in the mid 50’s / low 60’s Fahrenheit and up on Mt. Laguna there was snow but perfectly dry clean roads.  If anything the only time I didn’t ride was in high summer when sometimes it was just too hot.

My ride at the time was a Triumph Daytona 955, I bet the XR is a fabulous tool for those roads.
I keep promising myself that one day I will go back to ride that route once more.
Safe riding
Phil

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 02:51:20 AM »
Thanks Phil: I’ve never been to Canterbury, but I bet you’ve got some great areas to ride. Like you I had a previous Triumph, but a “T-509” speed triple, which I enjoyed very much.

IMO San Diego, particularly “Coronado” is a great place to live (maybe best overall in S. CA) and I can see why you liked it. Also, glad you had the opportunity to ride all the various roads in SD. Sunrise Highway, which I’ll be riding this Saturday after my 9AM handle bar “vibe” retro fit at SDBMW (haven’t been there for while) is one great road.

As for Palomar, the fast side (E. Grade/ S7) its recently been repaved, making it real enjoyable compared to some of its previous irregularities, rough sections. Also, after the heavy rains here in S. CA. and for the last few weeks, many roads have been somewhat challenging, with certain areas having grit/ small rocks/ fine soil.

As for weather, lately its been around 50 to 70 +/- degrees, however at the top of Palomar it can range from 40 to 50 degrees, therefore I bring along my warm & safe heated jacket. Also, “like you said “in the summer it can get to hot to ride “anywhere”, particularly Borego Springs & surrounding with temperatures getting 115 + degrees, therefore IMO best “overall” time to ride California is from late October to July/ August.

In closing, I am loving the XR’s versatility/ comfort/ handling/ available power/ very glad that I have it (only thing I miss, I guess, is shaft drive/ no maintenance thing).

Over and out
mike k

Offline Chicken Strip

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '16 White XR
  • Town: San Diego
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 04:01:56 AM »
Congrats Mike, I live in San Diego (La Mesa) and the roads Phil listed are the ones I ride, awesome.  Last bike was a Suzuki Bandit 1250s.  Hoping to get a XR soon.  Post a pic of your baby. 

Tom
Raptor exhaust / HP sport seat / BM crash bars / Nav VI / Dunlop Q3+'s / Puig screen / Synto levers / TPX radar detector / D.I.D gold X chain / HVMP bar ends / RRG cooler guards / Wunderlich f&r fender extenders & big brake lever / Hepco and Becker stand enlarger / R&G f&r axle sliders / rim tape

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 11:05:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by mike k [+]
In closing, I am loving the XR’s versatility/ comfort/ handling/ available power/ very glad that I have it (only thing I miss, I guess, is shaft drive/ no maintenance thing).

I wouldn't worry unduly about the chain.  My previous 3 bikes were all lumpy V-twins that give the chain a much harder time than the the relatively much smoother inline 4 of the XR.  I was easily able to get 15 or 16,000 miles out of a chain.  And I was speaking with a GS rider in the IOM last year who was on his 4th shaft drive replacement averaging about 20,000 miles between each!

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 04:26:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by PL2112 [+]
I wouldn't worry unduly about the chain.  My previous 3 bikes were all lumpy V-twins that give the chain a much harder time than the the relatively much smoother inline 4 of the XR.  I was easily able to get 15 or 16,000 miles out of a chain.  And I was speaking with a GS rider in the IOM last year who was on his 4th shaft drive replacement averaging about 20,000 miles between each!

Agreed/ your right! In reality a chain, which I had on a couple of Triumphs, Aprilias was no big thing/ never really bothered me (I guess I got spoiled with having previous shaft drives/ but a chain is much easier to repair/ quick fix, compared to a broken shaft drive). BTW, the XR "IMO" would not be best with a shaft drive! 
mike k

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 04:41:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chicken Strip [+]
Congrats Mike, I live in San Diego (La Mesa) and the roads Phil listed are the ones I ride, awesome.  Last bike was a Suzuki Bandit 1250s.  Hoping to get a XR soon.  Post a pic of your baby. 

Tom

Tom: Coming from a Bandit 1250S "I think" you will like/ appreciate the S1000XR, which is very refined/ smooth/ but a beast as well. Also, based on having had their R1100S/ R1150R - R12R/ S/ GS (much different machines to the 4 cylinder XR), however "IMO" BMW has managed to keep that certain BMW feel/ DNA with the XR.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 04:43:20 PM by mike k »
mike k

Offline Chicken Strip

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '16 White XR
  • Town: San Diego
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 01:23:30 AM »
Thanks Mike, I've never ridden a bike with any nannies or with that much HP.  I'm looking forward to it.
Raptor exhaust / HP sport seat / BM crash bars / Nav VI / Dunlop Q3+'s / Puig screen / Synto levers / TPX radar detector / D.I.D gold X chain / HVMP bar ends / RRG cooler guards / Wunderlich f&r fender extenders & big brake lever / Hepco and Becker stand enlarger / R&G f&r axle sliders / rim tape

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 08:50:11 PM »
Hey @Mike K

I found this picture, taken 15th February 2004.  As far as I remember it was at the desert overlook on the right side going up to the summit of Mt. Laguna from I-8

Happy days!