Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gonna try PR4 GT  (Read 4675 times)

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Los Angeles, CA
Gonna try PR4 GT
« on: March 27, 2017, 02:47:43 PM »
It's almost time for tires.  Just a hair over 3000 on the Diablo Rosso's and they are pretty much toast.  I am going to try PR4 GT as I do a ton of highway miles commuting.  Less sticky?  Sure they are.  But long lasting is what I am after.  They cost a few bucks more than the PR4 but it is about $25 total with the cost I pay.  I know, expecting 10K out of a rear is probably not gonna happen but that is what I'd like to get.  Yes, I know they are for "heavier bikes" however my thinking is that the center should last longer since they are for behavior bikes. The profile shown in the tire books is the same for PR4 and PR4 GT.  Depending on how they are I will either use the same after or switch the regular PR4.  I ahve owned this bike since 2/11 so not even two months.

Anyone else running GT's?  For those who don;t know, I understand the differences in tires quite well.  But if you wish to explain further that I might ahve less grip with the GT's or the fact they they are most likely harder in the center or have a stiffer sidewall, please do.  Only concern here is mileage.  If I get 6000k great.  If I get 7500k even better.  If I get 10k I'll be in shock.  The goal is to find a tire that will meet all my needs and deliver decent mileage keeping the tire changes down to a few a year. 

Offline scotti

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Teesside
Re: Gonna try PR4 GT
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 03:09:31 PM »
Used to run the PR4 GT on a series of RTs I had and used to get about 7.5k miles from them.  Ran the standard PR4 on my XR and got about 7.5k from them too.  Just changed to Roadtec 01 to try them out.  Seem a little more compliant in ride quality, grip in the wet and dry is the same.
Don't think the PR4GTs on the XR will have much effect on longevity but it will be an interesting experiment.
Regards
Scotti

Offline LDrider 191

• XR Member
  • No matter where you go....... There you are
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: San Diego
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 12:10:20 AM »
 Now have about 3,000 miles on a set of PR4 GT's.  Had a chance to ride on the freeway (too much) in the twisty stuff, in the rain, raining in the twisty stuff - pretty much everything but dirt.  I got the GT's because that was what was available - I'm a big guy and do long trips carrying camping equipment and a load, so the GT's made sense.  So far the wear has been even (I was afraid the first trip which was 700 miles of mostly Interstate Highway would start a flat spot), but they have proven to be pretty terrific.  I'm not that aggressive on our So. California roads as we don't get much rain and the roads can be quite nasty at first sprinkle, but we have had a record winter and spring for rain, so I have been riding more than usual.  No dramas and no problems.  Turn in has been great, comfortable and quiet.  Haven't really slammed on the brakes to test stopping distance, but I have hit them fairly hard and didn't get any negative feed back - no howling.  Didn't take much to balance them, they are holding air well and look good on the bike.  If they made me into Mick Doohan I would be happier (did I just give away my age?).  We'll see what the ultimate mileage is but at 3k - they aren't showing undo wear, not cupping and basically look pretty new. 

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 03:42:25 AM »
Glad to hear you like them.  I ride teh smae roads daily apparently.  I'll order them tomorrow and run teh Rossos till the tread is completely nil.  Cause I can. 

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 03:02:48 PM »
Unless you have already ordered the PR4s check out the Metzler roadtec 01

they are superb
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline anubisss

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 12:02:02 PM »
Not a Metzeler fan.  I have run many brands of tires over the years.  Gonna order tires Monday.  We'll see how i feel at ordering time.  What kind of mileage are you getting on Roadtec1's?

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 04:03:24 PM »
I am hard on tyres

Was getting 2K from rear pirelli but the metz have already done 3 1/2K of similar riding and look good for another 2K

They grip as well as anything in the dry and in the wet are IMO ( and the bike media) unbeatable

You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 04:16:47 PM »
It's all about turn in in my book so I'll stick to my Dunlops when folks talk Michelin I'm always thinking hard wearing slow turning.

Offline scotti

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Teesside
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 04:50:02 PM »
Not since the Macadam 90X, which were horrible, slow turning and made of cast iron.  Modern Michelin are good.
Regards
Scotti

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 06:46:03 PM »
Hang on a minute I didn't say they were bad!! I said hard wearing slow turning which they are be it the 2/3/4.

Re the Macadam  :005: blimey the last one I bought must have been mid nineties but they had their uses for travelling Europe pre dual compound tyre's.