Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Nav 5 doesn't display ambient temperature  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Eiskurve

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Dollar
Nav 5 doesn't display ambient temperature
« on: March 27, 2017, 04:51:33 PM »
New to the bike and the forum. Did my first 100 miles today on my new bike, really enjoyed it. Observations, with standard seat, seem a bit fixed in position, but painless. I'm 6ft tall but wind protection was great in low screen position, (a surprise) and can't make up my mind to sit still or hang off after S1000RR!!! Bit buzzy on motorway at 70 thru bars, but thats what cruise is for!!
I notice that the Navi 5 doesn't display the ambient temperature, am I missing something in set-up or this this common to everyone?

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
Re: Nav 5 doesn't display ambient temperature
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 05:33:21 PM »
That's normal as there is no ambient temperature display on the XR.

Offline ogden

• XR Member
  • Bike: Sport SE
  • Town: Twickenham
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 06:29:11 PM »
There is an intake temperature though, on the info display, which surely amounts to the same thing.

The Nav 6 doesn't display it either, mind.
Current stable: S1000XR | 990SMT | GSXR1000 | YZF-R6 #7

Offline meurig

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Cape Town
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 06:40:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by ogden [+]
There is an intake temperature though, on the info display, which surely amounts to the same thing.

The Nav 6 doesn't display it either, mind.

That's what I thought, intake is the same as ambient

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 01:00:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Eiskurve [+]
New to the bike and the forum. Did my first 100 miles today on my new bike, really enjoyed it. Observations, with standard seat, seem a bit fixed in position, but painless. I'm 6ft tall but wind protection was great in low screen position, (a surprise) and can't make up my mind to sit still or hang off after S1000RR!!! Bit buzzy on motorway at 70 thru bars, but thats what cruise is for!!
I notice that the Navi 5 doesn't display the ambient temperature, am I missing something in set-up or this this common to everyone?

Your right it's disappointing that the XR does not do ambient temperature, I miss it having had a couple of K13's it's not like BMW don't have the bits!

I'd say as your North of Edinburgh just assume it's cold :190: :038: :008: sorry!
After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline meurig

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Cape Town
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 03:12:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gazk [+]
Your right it's disappointing that the XR does not do ambient temperature, I miss it having had a couple of K13's it's not like BMW don't have the bits!

I'd say as your North of Edinburgh just assume it's cold :190: :038: :008: sorry!

Same as TPM's I miss them

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 05:30:48 PM »
I would have thought that intake temperature would be at the air side of the injectors, which would not be the same as the outside air temperature as the low this value the better. If you put your hand on an intake you can feel that it's cold due to air flow this does help power as you can squeeze more fuel in.

If the intake temperature value is measured in the air box then it may be very close to the outside air temperature however there is normally a pressure differential which as we know from our School days’ physics lessons alters the temperature thus close but no cigar.

From memory the K1300s air temperature sensor was on the front right inside of the fairing and that was just a guide temperature fun to keep your eye on, on the hottest of day when your descending form the Alps.

All this fun stuff aside if I’m shivering or sweating I have the wrong kit on!

I think there was focus group meeting down in London maybe they can bring this up as an upgrade for the next version of the XR if BMW deem to do one.
After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

dysfunctional