Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: BMW top box.  (Read 2300 times)

Online Leasky

• XR Member
  • Bike: XRSE and R9T
  • Town: Aberdeen
BMW top box.
« on: March 31, 2017, 06:15:28 PM »
I can't get the BMW top box on my bike to open. The case in brand new and I simply can't get the bloody thing to open.

Any help please guys?

Thanks.

Offline Ishawy

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Preston
Re: BMW top box.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 09:07:31 PM »
Just put your key in and push the key and the button inwards and the lid should release :305:

Offline roger z1b

• XR Member
  • Bike: gs lc / s1000xr
  • Town: wigan
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 11:15:44 PM »
because of  'newness' it needs a little hellp.  just get your finger nails into the lip and help it open.  take care also fitting the box to the bike.  it can appear to be locked in when its not.  give it a firm grip and test before you set off, or else you might see it in your rear view mirror disappearing back down the road.

Offline vsteel

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Kuna, ID
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 04:18:31 PM »
On mine sometimes when I put the key in, turn it, and push in,  the red handle comes out but not far enough to open the lid.  I sometimes have to lift the handle a little and you can feel it "click"  the top then opens like it should.

Offline jskene

• XR Member
  • Town: Baltimore, MD
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 10:19:29 PM »
I’ve been using my top case for several months with mo problem,  ut now it won’t open. This is a bit of an inconvenience, as I’m on an overnight trip and it contains some things I’d like to use.

The red plastic pop-out latch handle, when pulled open fails to release the side latches. I have examined the underside of it and it appears to be broken where the steel rod goes through it. Has anyone else had this experience? The plasic seems very thin and flexible, which is probably why it broke.

Any suggestions on how to open the case? I’m not familiar with the internal mechanism.

Offline jskene

• XR Member
  • Town: Baltimore, MD
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 07:38:38 PM »
Once I got home I had a better chance to analyze the problem.

The latch mechanism on my case was always very stiff to operate, and when I pulled on red handle to open the case it dislocated the inner tab on the handle from the slot it is supposed to move up and down in. This prevented the case from opening.
It was possible to unlock the lid by instead pressing down on the inside edges of the rotating cams under the red cover. With the case open I was then able to remove and disassemble the locking mechanism.

The silders that move back and forth to unlock the corners of the case have a lot of friction, making it very difficult for the rotating cams to move them back and forth. I removed the sliders and filed them down so they move freely. Now when I unlock the red handle, the springs on it pop it open all the way and fully unlock the lid, with no need to even lift the handle.

This took about 10 minutes, so if anyone else has a balky top case handle, you might try this.

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 09:07:03 PM »
 :460:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.