Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: had a great ride on Sunday glad I kept the XR  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Adventure Boy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR SE
  • Town: Essex
had a great ride on Sunday glad I kept the XR
« on: April 03, 2017, 08:48:10 PM »
as many of you know when I bought the XR I sat on the new 2017 Multistrada and loved the feel of it but it was too late to really do anything about it as the XR was paid for all paperwork done prior so that was it, but ive allways wondered and keep looking at them

on Sunday the weather was great and me and 6 mates set off for a day out me on the XR one Multi 2015 model 1 Hayabusa, 1 1200GS, 1 versys 1000, 1 Z1000 SX and 1 Honda NC750 keeping up the rear

the only 2 bikes that are worth mentioning are the hayabusa and the Multistrada both which were dispatched during a 2nd gear roll on and neither could live with me on the twisties at all. the XR was the talk all over breakfast no one could believe how quick or how well it handled and the equipment level that it had
we did over 250 miles and all day in the saddle I returned still comfi and very impressed with the XR the guy with the Multistrada phoned me today to find out what model mine was as he wants to get one  :008: well happy its hard to match a bike when your out riding alone but when with others its quick to see there downsides, the only thing Im not happy with is the screen, so I ordered a MRA Vario this morning
Rob

Offline JRE

• XR Pro
  • Have a day
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR
  • Town: Cincinnati OH
Re: had a great ride on Sunday glad I kept the XR
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 09:06:21 PM »
Nice...at least maybe you can ride his MS from time to time :)
I have the MRA and I still found it lacking a bit (I'm 6'2" with a 30" inseam - tall on top) so I went with a medium Vstream screen which is slightly better than the MRA but I'm adding the MRA spoiler to the top (clamp on, so removeable) for touring. Otherwise I'll leave it off for commuting and local riding.
Joe

Offline FZZup

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Dorchester
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 09:35:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Adventure Boy [+]
as many of you know when I bought the XR I sat on the new 2017 Multistrada and loved the feel of it but it was too late to really do anything about it as the XR was paid for all paperwork done prior so that was it, but ive allways wondered and keep looking at them

on Sunday the weather was great and me and 6 mates set off for a day out me on the XR one Multi 2015 model 1 Hayabusa, 1 1200GS, 1 versys 1000, 1 Z1000 SX and 1 Honda NC750 keeping up the rear

the only 2 bikes that are worth mentioning are the hayabusa and the Multistrada both which were dispatched during a 2nd gear roll on and neither could live with me on the twisties at all. the XR was the talk all over breakfast no one could believe how quick or how well it handled and the equipment level that it had
we did over 250 miles and all day in the saddle I returned still comfi and very impressed with the XR the guy with the Multistrada phoned me today to find out what model mine was as he wants to get one  :008: well happy its hard to match a bike when your out riding alone but when with others its quick to see there downsides, the only thing Im not happy with is the screen, so I ordered a MRA Vario this morning
Rob

Sweet vindication :028:. Congrats on the right choice sir.   

I umm'ed and ahh'ed between XR and Z1000SX 2017 models last Xmas, however a test ride on both quickly dispatched the Z1000SX option.

Offline Norbs

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 09:57:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by FZZup [+]
Sweet vindication :028:. Congrats on the right choice sir.   

I umm'ed and ahh'ed between XR and Z1000SX 2017 models last Xmas, however a test ride on both quickly dispatched the Z1000SX option.

I had the same 2 bikes in mind, didn't end up riding the SX in the end, always wondered what I was missing. What put you off it?

Offline ampj8

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 10:50:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by JRE [+]
Nice...at least maybe you can ride his MS from time to time :)
I have the MRA and I still found it lacking a bit (I'm 6'2" with a 30" inseam - tall on top) so I went with a medium Vstream screen which is slightly better than the MRA but I'm adding the MRA spoiler to the top (clamp on, so removeable) for touring. Otherwise I'll leave it off for commuting and local riding.

JRE you could call MRA and ask them for a custom-sized Vario screen for the XR. Wasn't here where a member got one sent to him a bit bigger?

I am 1.70m so the normal one is good enough I am testing low position one step of the vario to see when I get my helmet freed' up from the wind so far very happy it is quick are and not turbulent air.

Offline FZZup

• XR Member
  • Town: Dorchester
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 11:25:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Norbs [+]
I had the same 2 bikes in mind, didn't end up riding the SX in the end, always wondered what I was missing. What put you off it?

Main reason for choosing S1000XR was simply down to power delivery and top end rush. I rode the Z1000SX directly after riding the S1000XR (in fact I turned up at the Kawasaki dealer on the S1000XR during the test ride and jumped directly on Z1000SX). Power difference was quite noticeable, BMW brakes were better and electronic suspension (1up-2up at the click of a switch) suited me along with having cruise control (both lacking on Z1000SX).

Overall I really liked the Jekyll & Hyde nature of the S1000XR both in looks and performance. Straight up scared me (in a good way) more than the Kawasaki when gunning it. Definite seepage down below with the BMW in dynamic pro mode..

Final deciding factor was that the wife preferred the seat and riding position on the S1000XR, so that was that.

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 05:55:03 PM »
Adventure Boy
You are right to stick with the XR. I had a 2015 Multi and whilst a great bike to ride it was an absolute pile of shite from a reliability point of view. Kept cutting out, exhaust valve kept sticking etc etc etc, Lots of other little niggles that you don't get with the XR, and also the XR is quicker. So glad I ditched the Ducati and got an XR. The multi is a complete bag of nails.

Offline Adventure Boy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR SE
  • Town: Essex
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 07:16:44 PM »
Must admit when I was thinking of putting the XR in for a Multi the dealer did say "my description of them would be Fragile" that did put me off a bit to be honest
got 4 trips booked for me and the XR this year so ill keep it

The MRA Vario screen arrived from MPS today and fitted tonight wont get a chance to test it till the weekend so hopefully that will make an improvement over the Puig one ive got on at the moment
Rob

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 08:24:38 PM »
Rather ironic that the top of the range Multistrada doesn't have electric suspension are you watching Mr BMW!!!!.

Offline JRE

• XR Pro
  • Have a day
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR
  • Town: Cincinnati OH
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 09:20:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Becksy [+]
I had a 2015 Multi and whilst a great bike to ride it was an absolute pile of shite from a reliability point of view. Kept cutting out, exhaust valve kept sticking etc etc etc, Lots of other little niggles that you don't get with the XR, and also the XR is quicker. So glad I ditched the Ducati and got an XR. The multi is a complete bag of nails.
This is why I didn't get an MS. I test rode one and really liked the engine and handling but since there isn't a dealer within a hour drive of me, no way I was going to put up with quality issues.
Joe