Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Puig levers / slipper clutch.  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Leasky

• XR Member
  • Bike: XRSE and R9T
  • Town: Aberdeen
Puig levers / slipper clutch.
« on: April 06, 2017, 08:47:39 PM »
I bought a set of specific Puig levers to replace the OEM BMW ones. I had them fitted today and the look and feel great - however, I appear to have lost the ability to change down without using the clutch lever. There is also a strange "feel" on the Clutch handle when I do engage it.

Has anyone else had any issues with the Puig clutch lever?

Offline JRE

• XR Pro
  • Have a day
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR
  • Town: Cincinnati OH
Re: Puig levers / slipper clutch.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 09:25:58 PM »
I've seen many reports that the puig levers work just fine. I ordered them but still waiting. However, there is a little metal piece on the clutch side that activiates a microswitch and that tends to get bent really easy and fail to do its job which then disables several functions including quick shift and cruise control. There are several threads here about it but check that. You should hear a click as you pull in the lever all the way and a click as it goes back to the resting position.
Joe

Offline ampj8

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 09:43:29 PM »
There are two micro switches one over the other so it is two clicks on the way to close and two back.
VERY important that these remain the same.

What happens is if you have adjustable and you are too close on one side it is good for reach but bad for the engagement of the micro switches.

And yes, it can mess up your shifter pro reaction as it would react as if you had the clutch engaged or would react randomly.
Also it could mess up your cruise control not allowing to be used.

the whole thing gets aweful just for those two so check carefully. In my channel in YT (ampj8) I have one clip showing the action of these albeit in a S1000R.

Offline Ned

• XR Junior
  • Bike: a white one
  • Town: sarf london
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 09:45:34 PM »
Hi I This weekend I actually fitted Puig folding and adjustable brake and clutch levers. I have ridden to and from work a couple of times this week and on a blast out on Sunday with no problems with the clutch, gear change or brakes. Definitely worth the money in my opinion. If your having problems the I'd bring it back to the place that fitted them and get them to investigate

Ivan

Offline Leasky

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 08:37:25 AM »
I am going to bite the bullet and buy a set of BMW HP levers, so there will be a set of Puig levers for sale in the next few days.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »
Colin

Not sure if the posts are on here or the other site but their are some moans and groans about the HP levers part of why the Puig have become so popular,I see very little posted about the AC Schnitzer  option.

All part of why I'm doing nothing till Pazzo get off their arse and make a set.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 09:54:51 AM by Winger »

Offline Leasky

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 07:39:32 PM »
Original BMW levers back on.

Such a shame as the Puig ones felt great.

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 09:08:27 PM »
I fitted a set of Puig folding levers. I'd read about the microswitches so I was ready for them! All works fine at the moment.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 08:21:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by ChrisHall [+]
I fitted a set of Puig folding levers. I'd read about the microswitches so I was ready for them! All works fine at the moment.

And that is the punch line!! When I read Colin's post 'Had them fitted' thought noooooo you need to do your home work and do them yourself.

Send e'm to me Col if you still have my address and I'll have a look at them.

Offline Leasky

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 08:50:19 AM »
That's a really kind offer Chris - thanks very much.

I have no doubt that the levers are perfect; my mistake was letting a garage (where I have been getting my GSA and Mamola serviced at for the past few years) do such delicate work.

I will give it some time and try to find another place around Aberdeen which can hopefully do the job correctly.