Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rare Earth Magnet for Tripping Red Light Sensors (US)  (Read 1698 times)

Offline brusiephoto

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scarborough, ME
Rare Earth Magnet for Tripping Red Light Sensors (US)
« on: April 18, 2017, 01:28:15 AM »
On my prior bike, a '91 Suzuki GSX1100G, I had a 4"x1/2"x1/2" magnet zip tied to the center stand. This served to trip the magnetic sensors on traffic signals. I want to add one to the XR, but I am a bit concerned with all the electronics on board. Has anyone done this? any weird blinking lights or erratic system behaviour?
Thanks
Kevin

Offline JohnnyBeGood

• XR Member
Re: Rare Earth Magnet for Tripping Red Light Sensors (US)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 07:36:36 AM »
Interesting subject! I think this is country dependant?
Never ever had a problem with these traffic lights in my country, other than it always takes to long for the green to come on......

Offline Karlb

• XR Pro
  • My Life is a Blur
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Crockett, TX
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 05:24:08 PM »
a 4" long rare earth magnet, why would it need to be zip tied onto the center stand, should take a prybar to get it off just by itself.
2016 Red Sled

Offline brusiephoto

• XR Junior
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 06:40:05 PM »
Zip Tie = insurance. Wouldn't want it to get hit by a rock at high speed and become a projectile for the rider behind me...

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 08:40:15 PM »

Traffic lights it's a sit n wait once filtered to the front, roadworks it's a flash of the headlights a few times...
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline brusiephoto

• XR Junior
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 08:51:01 PM »
Here's one random explanation of the situation to which I refer: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/question234.htm
Or, from Wikipedia:
"In-pavement detectors
These detectors are buried in or under the roadway. Inductive detector loops are the most common type. They are sensors buried in the road to detect the presence of traffic waiting at the light, and thus can reduce the time when a green signal is given to an empty road. A timer is frequently used as a default during times of very low traffic density and as a backup in case the sensors fail. The sensor loops typically work in the same fashion as metal detectors. Consequently, small vehicles and bicycles or vehicles with low metal content may fail to be detected causing them to wait indefinitely unless there is also a default timer as part of the control system."