Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Replacing the stock exhaust  (Read 1563 times)

Offline K33LWE

• XR Junior
  • Bike: s1000xr Sport SE
  • Town: Sheffield
Replacing the stock exhaust
« on: April 20, 2017, 07:17:16 AM »
Hi all,

I'm wanting to make the bike louder at lower revs. I've read about removing the exhaust servo valve but I've also read about problems of doing this. If I went with the headers it would need a remap ?

What would you suggest

New end can
Akro headers and stock can

Any help would be great cheers.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
Re: Replacing the stock exhaust
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 09:29:06 AM »
Some of the guys have gone with headers and the stock can....I believe it to be pretty good and the sound is good too. The cat is what does a lot of the "silencing".

Cheers,
Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline K33LWE

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 09:42:51 AM »
Has there been any issues with just putting new headers on? And not doing a remap ?

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 04:43:39 PM »
I'll say at the beginning that I have a set of Akra headers in a box in the garage.

I've done a fair bit with aftermarket fuelling etc,my XT and 1100s have PC's the 955 Tiger has a TOR map that I can access via Tune ECU and my K1200 has a Rexxer map.

If you look on the Akra website or the UK importers website theirs a warning about needing a third party fuelling mod if you fit their headers the like of which I have never seen before so it's done with good reason

If you look on the net theirs allsorts of rubbish posted about the ECU adjusting itself for the headers which frankly is just silly because if it could BMW would be in court with VW for fiddling emissions.

Rexxer currently do not do a map so it's either a PC or Rapid Bike.

What am I going to do?? Wait till Rexxer come up with a solution I'm in this for the long haul so I'm in no rush.

Offline K33LWE

• XR Junior
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 06:16:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
I'll say at the beginning that I have a set of Akra headers in a box in the garage.

I've done a fair bit with aftermarket fuelling etc,my XT and 1100s have PC's the 955 Tiger has a TOR map that I can access via Tune ECU and my K1200 has a Rexxer map.

If you look on the Akra website or the UK importers website theirs a warning about needing a third party fuelling mod if you fit their headers the like of which I have never seen before so it's done with good reason

If you look on the net theirs allsorts of rubbish posted about the ECU adjusting itself for the headers which frankly is just silly because if it could BMW would be in court with VW for fiddling emissions.

What am I going to do?? Wait till Rexxer come up with a solution I'm in this for the long haul so I'm in no rush.

On BMW s1000xr Owner's on Facebook a chap has done his without a remap and works fine

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 07:26:32 PM »
Dyno run?
Checked the fuel map?

Or you mean it hasn't gone bang yet.

Offline JRE

• XR Pro
  • Have a day
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR
  • Town: Cincinnati OH
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 07:41:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]

I agree. The ECU will self-adjust to minor lean/rich conditions - this is how it deals with altitude changes. The range will depends on the Lambda sensor (narrow or wide). However, it's highly doubtful in my mind that it can make enough of an adjustment to account for the increased flow of a less restrictive exhaust system. It deals with a slip-on OK (as does most FI bikes) but removing the header/cat deletes a much bigger mechanism generating back pressure. As such, it will run lean and hot which will manifest in lower fuel economy, an increase in backfires and possibly pre-detonation (knocking).
From what I understand (I am no expert on this), the Lambda sensor in a closed loop system will adjust for idle and cruise but ~75% throttle and up will not be accounted for and that's if you keep the sensor with the new headers. The only way to really tell for sure is to test it on a dyno and measure Lambda.
Personally, if I'm spending $20k for a bike and another $2k in exhaust, I'm not going to try to be cheap and *hope* it compensates adequately and doesn't ultimately damage the engine.
Joe