Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New North West member.  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Rekrab

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Manchester
New North West member.
« on: April 22, 2017, 01:07:23 AM »
Hello

Picked up my 2017 XR two weeks ago, 1st service a week ago, now it GOES!!!

Last year my son had a ride on a Ducati 1299 on a Ducati day at Snetterton, wanted one but could not afford the insurance, was quoted £7.5k. I persuaded him to have a test ride on an S1000RR (he could get "reasonable" insurance on one), he bought one in September and had 4k miles on it before the end of October, As he could not get time off work I took it in for its first service. After using it the first time I decided my R1200R Exclusive did not make me grin enough so I tried an S1000R, not sure why I did not get on with it, perhaps it was because it had not had its first service and was restricted.

More recently I took his bike in to Alan Jefferies for a warranty issue and found there was a factory low seat option on the XR and Alan Jeffries had a 2017 one on their demo fleet. As my son has been doing his best to persuade me to get an S1000 of some sort, as his was so good (and my ears needed a rest), I booked a test ride.

Tried it, liked it (even though it has a chain) and bought one before I get too old to be able to enjoy it.

Dave

Recent bikes
BMW K1200GT 2007
Triumph Explorer 1200 Launch Model 2012 (with engine that destroyed itself, but replacement was great)
BMW R1200R Exclusive 2015

Current
S1000XR SE Red

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
Re: New North West member.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 10:28:14 AM »
Welcome aboard Dave! :002:

How did your Triumph's engine destroy itself?

Offline Rekrab

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 12:34:56 PM »
Hi Bob

There was a well documented teething problem on the then new 1200 triple engine. Never did get a full report out of Triumph but as they replace engine and gearbox I never chased it too hard. As I understood it the head gasket area had an issue with an oilway being very close to the edge of the gasket and it gave way.

I think in total there were three cases of it happening so although there was a massive thread on the forum, Triumph stepped up to the mark, fixed those that had failed and did a preventative job on the rest. Despite some serious use never had any further issue with what was and is a cracking engine, just fell out with standing on tiptoe and bought a lower bike after 31/2 years, still miss that engine though seems like I have found a suitable replacement now!

Dave

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 12:39:42 PM »
Dave,

I think Triumph had no choice, although I know from personal experience with them that they often don't step up to the mark.

Offline Elvisto

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Audley, S-o-T
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 07:25:41 AM »
 :400: Dave, It's a great bike isn't it,
Adventure before dementia

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 07:48:36 AM »
  :400:   Dave,

Another Manc on the bike, where's your favourite route out of dodge ?

Rob
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline Rekrab

• XR Junior
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 06:27:50 PM »
Hi Rob
Escape route is usually over 'Owd Betts To Edenfield, hop on A56M to Huncoates then Clitheroe bypass and either back roads to Settle and The Bridge and all points North or A59 to go East over Blubberhouses. Managed 2 250 miles rides that way so far and only got 750 on it as yet.
Rarely go South but tend to use Pennine routes to avoid the M60 car park.Wales tends to near M56 then A5104. That is one road the XR should be fun on!
Need to put some protection on bike before much longer as quite a few of the roads I use are about to get fresh chipping on them.
Dave