Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: pillion foot pegs vibrating  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Ishawy

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Preston
pillion foot pegs vibrating
« on: April 22, 2017, 06:59:10 PM »
Hi everyone  :440:
we've been out today for a blast on the xr ive only done 300 miles on it pretty much on my own. so I took my good lady out with me today and whilst on the motorway between 82 - 90 mph the right pillion foot peg :232:  which is fastened to backbox. it was that bad my partner had to lift her foot the peg. As anybody had this problem and as any body found a solution to the problem? I will check all the fixings to foot pegs, sub frame exhaust to cat
cheers

Offline Karlb

• XR Pro
  • My Life is a Blur
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Crockett, TX
Re: pillion foot pegs vibrating
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 11:48:56 AM »
wife has ridden on the back on my 16 twice once for about 30 miles and once for about 200 no issue for her on this and we did speeds up to around 130mph
2016 Red Sled

Offline Ishawy

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 04:28:18 PM »
I took the. Ike in for its first service and asked them to check out the vibration, on getting the bike back they said the exhausts headers nuts where loose so they took the system off and refitted and torqued up, did 200 mile this weekend and problem solved 😀

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 04:05:26 AM »
Result..! :047:

Cheers,
Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Ishawy

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 09:27:20 PM »
We're away in Brittany and on the way down to Portsmouth I had to get past a car and got up to 105 when my partners footrest started to vibrate as did my seat the footpeg also vibrated at 46mph in 4th gear, It was so severe that she had to lift her foot off the footpeg, I'm so not happy about this I've put all my saving into buying the bike and it's just not right, when I went to purchase a bike they they assured me that the bike was best of both worlds and at this moment in time I can assure you it's not. I stopped and rang my dealer and the bike is being dropped off on Sunday. Where do I stand regards this?????

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 01:36:03 AM »
I think the harder question would be..."how are they going to fix it"..it's not like you can just make an adjustment to fix it....you can't just "re-balance" an engine at the local BMW dealer....Inline 4's often have vibrations at certain rpm's and are smooth at other rpm's... depending on the bike/engine combination. I know my '17 XR is silky smooth @ ~3500rpm but has a definite buzz at 5500-6000rpm....if they fix it at one rpm, it may make it worse at another.. :019:
My Blackbird engine was turbine smooth at all rpm's...but it also had internal balance shafts to deal with this issue.....the XR doesn't.

In short, I'll be curious to see if they can do anything at all to help you.

Smithy
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Plexat

• XR Member
  • BMW since 1979
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Doesburg
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 08:47:36 AM »
I say: rev it up! The engine was intentionally made for the S1000RR. A genuine sport bike.
Sport bikes are most of the time really high in the RPM range. I owned several and they all were vibrating. Some more, others less.
But on the track they were just so good and hardly any vibrations when you had them in high RPMs as intended.
Now we ride the XR as a tour bike and that it is not. It is a sports tourer. The engine is the same as the RR only tuned a bit differently.
I ride mine like a sport bike. And yes, vibrations around 5000 rpm. Above and below it is excellent. Not more vibrations than my CBR 1000RR I use on the tracks.
I love the bike!

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »
My wife did 700 miles as pillion over 3 days a couple of weeks ago and loved it and declared it more comfortable than the GS especially  since I moved the back box back 2 inches.
Neither of us actually  found the GS that comfortable and both had to use Airhawks to be comfortable. Personally I find the XR very comfortable just returned from 15 days in Italy and Spain 3690 miles longest day 667 miles absolutely perfect. Tiny vibes at 4800 rpm but a real non issue.
Over 28000 miles now best bike I've ever owned by a country mile.
Yeah as Plexat said above rev it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 02:55:00 PM by forestboy »

dysfunctional