Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stuff  (Read 2799 times)

Offline PlanktonPete

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Gloucestershire
Stuff
« on: July 01, 2015, 11:41:58 PM »
Mine has just about done the first 600 miles and is going in for the first service on Saturday.
So far I have added a fender extender from Pyramid (top quality carbon, looks good but frankly I don't care what it looks like as long as it protects some of the radiator from the shorty front mudguard which can only throw  stones and crap kicked up from the road).
Also added are the HP clutch and brake levers because I couldn't believe that we have gone back to the 80s for non-adjustable clutch levers especially the OE mechanical heavyweight jobby worthy of a 90s Ducati.  The levers are worth the money I think as they both look good and are adjustable for span.  Not that you have to use the clutch all that often with that fabulous quickshifter but it's nice when you have to start or stop!
I also got the Sport high seat as I have lanky legs and this works better for me being both a tad higher but also a better angle for the lower back.  Did 320 miles yesterday on Wales' finest and it didn't feel too bad. Although I was sagging a bit from the unaccustomed heat.
I dug out one of my many old screens from previous bikes and played around with the fitting.  Managed to fit it after some one pretty nifty Dremel work (he said modestly) and it is much, much better.  4 inches higher and 2 inches wider than the OE with a convex top edge rather than the concave original and for me makes the nasty buffeting into a thrummy sort of turbulence.  The numb throttle hand syndrome is annoying and I tried to fit some old bar end weights I have knocking around which are 3 times heavier than the limp wristed ones fitted as standard - but failed as I couldn't get them to fit the rather exact standard handguard/ bar end fitting.  Future project that one.
Top box and Akro on order, the former because I like a boot to chuck stuff in for those European trips (sorry Yankee friends that's "trunk" in your weird version of English) and the Akro because I am a cheap and shallow person who likes noise.  But doesn't the air box sound LOUD all the time??
I spoke to HPS earlier today who market the MRA screen with the adjustable foil - at least in the UK.  They have a design in production in Germany which they expect will be available in July so may be a good punt for people who don't have the same amount of rubbish lying about as I do.  I had one of their MRA screens on my Multistrada and also the KTM Adventure and it worked well.

Oh and I took off the scaffolding that pretends to be "preparation for panniers" in marketing speak - well you'd have to buy the panniers if you wanted to keep that ugly pile of bars from view.  What a design disaster! Interestingly you have to re-install a bolt either side to join the subframe with the rack spar after you have removed the scaffolding (sorry for the non-techy speak) but the OE bolts are too long.  So I cut off a few centimetres off the shiny steel metal sticky out things (which I thought looked quite nice as a soft luggage bungee hook) and used that as a spacer for the original bolt.  Works a treat.
I think that's it so far.
Can't wait until the first service and then I can get rid of the 9k revs limit and install the magic plug.
Pete

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
Re: Stuff
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 01:02:38 AM »
Looking forward to hearing how you like the new levers.  That is one of my only dislikes about the bike.   :305:
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline PlanktonPete

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Gloucestershire
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 08:36:04 AM »
Hi Grnmtvt - are you Welsh by any chance?  No vowels in your name.
The levers are great - not only do they look good but much more importantly they are span adjustable (the brake in 5 positions and the clutch in 3) and have a very good, smooth operation.
They work.
P

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 12:47:12 AM »
Hehehe.....must be a Vermont variant of Welsh or something.  :008:
Good to hear about the levers.  I'm going to look into them this weekend as it's the one thing that I've noticed that bugs me about riding the bike.......which I'm totally in love with. 
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.