Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Screen extension  (Read 1703 times)

Offline VFRHawk

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: St Neots
Screen extension
« on: April 23, 2017, 02:40:14 PM »
Hi,

Picking up my 2015 S1000XR (lowered seat and suspension model) from Balderston's in Peterborough week after next, but after a couple of test rides I'm concerned that the screen seems to leave me with a lot of buffeting at cruising speeds - even in the taller position.  Not a big issue, but wondered  if anyone had any experience with screen extensions like this one:

http://www.nippynormans.com/s1000xr/wunderlich-ergo-screen-extension-clear-r1200gsadv-lc-f700gs800-adventure-and-more

The alternative is the MRA Vario screen, but I like the idea of leaving the bike stock unless I'm going to be sitting on a motorway a lot, then being able to add something on just for that trip.  Just not sure how effective they are, or how easy to keep fitting and removing it is?

I'm only 5'9" (about 175cm's) so I was surprised the screen didn't protect a little more in the taller position.  If I scrunch down in the seat it all goes quiet and peaceful, but I can't slouch that much all the time!   :002:

Graham

Offline JRE

• XR Pro
  • Have a day
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR
  • Town: Cincinnati OH
Re: Screen extension
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 06:41:31 PM »
I have the MRA and it works great, has lots of adjustment possibilities (more than their windscreen/spoiler kit) and if you get the clamp on version, is easily removed without leaving holes or marks on your windscreen.
Joe

Offline VFRHawk

• XR Junior
  • Town: St Neots
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 07:23:46 PM »
I've actually just bought the MRA Vario that was advertised here on the forum - picked a good time to sign up!

Will see what I think of it once it's on the bike.

Graham

Offline Leasky

• XR Member
  • Bike: XRSE and R9T
  • Town: Aberdeen
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 08:20:10 PM »
Another vote for the MRA; I have one and it's perfect for me (I am 6ft and a "delicate" 18 stone)  :002:

Offline aburman125

• XR Junior
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 08:04:43 AM »
I tried one of these

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-universal-windshield-deflector

which did exactly what I wanted and shifted the airflow over my head,
however it made the windscreen very top heavy ... and at just about any speed it made the whole windscreen assembly shake like a mad thing, so I rejected it and went for a bigger screen instead.

Offline JRE

• XR Pro
  • Have a day
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR
  • Town: Cincinnati OH
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 08:19:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by JRE [+]
I have the MRA and it works great, has lots of adjustment possibilities (more than their windscreen/spoiler kit) and if you get the clamp on version, is easily removed without leaving holes or marks on your windscreen.
To be clear, I added the MRA XCREEN spoiler to the top of a Vstream medium windscreen.
Joe

Offline Ishawy

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Preston
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 08:58:29 AM »
I've fitted a puig screen. It fitted perfectly lined up no problem just used the screws and bushes off the BMW SCREEN and it works a treat even in the down position it's taller than the stock screen in the up position 👍😀

Offline Karlb

• XR Pro
  • My Life is a Blur
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Crockett, TX
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 11:20:58 AM »
Ive got the puig touring for winter and long trips and have the puig race for hot Texas summers and daily riding, together they were cheaper than the Vario.
2016 Red Sled

dysfunctional