Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Plastic Fairing Rivets  (Read 3485 times)

Offline clanadam

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Johnstone
Plastic Fairing Rivets
« on: April 26, 2017, 09:31:36 PM »
OK so here goes for my first of probably a long series of daft questions....   :431:

How do these plastic rivets on the fairing work? Looking to get either an Evotec or R&G radiator & oil guard but I'm not clear on how to take apart the fairing and I'm wary of forcing and breaking something - is there a "numpty" guide anywhere?

Offline JRE

• XR Pro
  • Have a day
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR
  • Town: Cincinnati OH
Re: Plastic Fairing Rivets
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 02:02:16 AM »
Poke the middle pin in and the rivet will pull right out. Many times the pin will fall out so be mindful of where it goes. Actually, these are relatively cheap pieces so it's wise to have some extra on hand just in case.
To re-install, start the pin in the top of the rivet - just enough to hold it in place, then insert the rivet and then push the pin flush. Or, you can insert the rivet, then insert the pin and push it flush. Just make sure the parts being fastened together are "together" when you do it. Basically the pin causes the rivet to flange on the tip (inside the pieces) which holds it and the pieces in place.
Joe

Offline clanadam

• XR Member
  • Town: Johnstone
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 11:27:46 AM »
That's perfect many thanks JRE  :028:

Offline Nabby

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Reading
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 08:15:19 PM »
I fitted the evotech water & oil radiator guards. They fit perfectly & evotech supply step by step fitting instructions online. You will have to take the oil cooler retaining bolts out to fit the guard!
Cheers

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 08:22:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by JRE [+]
Poke the middle pin in and the rivet will pull right out. Many times the pin will fall out so be mindful of where it goes.

These pins were maddening to a new owner.  Normally, you push them in a ways and the rivet pops out freely. I had to do as you said, though: push the center shaft entirely out of the pin.  Yes: very easy to lose.

Looking at the push shaft it appears to be the same circumference the entire length.  I would've expected a taper.  So, to me, it appears that the tiny little shaft has to be completely pushed out in order to remove the pin body.   :086:

Strange design.  :084:
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 09:06:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Low-Brau [+]
These pins were maddening to a new owner.  Normally, you push them in a ways and the rivet pops out freely. I had to do as you said, though: push the center shaft entirely out of the pin.  Yes: very easy to lose.

Looking at the push shaft it appears to be the same circumference the entire length.  I would've expected a taper.  So, to me, it appears that the tiny little shaft has to be completely pushed out in order to remove the pin body.   :086:
Strange design.  :084:

The Honda type "Pull/push rivets" like the ones used on a VFR or Blackbird, I have some at home so I might see if they fit, even if they're a tad larger in diameter I can open the holes up to accommodate them...... If so, it'll be a big improvement over the originals...they're difficult to push through when new and the pin is easily lost if you're working over gravel or grass. The Honda ones have a "pull type" center pin and are a doddle to use.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Gbjbany

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 s1000xr
  • Town: Sacramento, ca
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 04:39:15 AM »
If you go to Google and search for nylon push rivets you'll find a bunch of options for kits etc. In the US there is Ace hardware, they have great Dept with all these rivets.  I am thinking of replacing the ones on the lower shield for my next oil change

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
  • Town: SoCal
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 03:40:52 AM »
McMaster-Carr has them as well.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#push-rivets/=19z1z6t

Marc
'18 Honda Goldwing DCT
'17 Honda VFR1200X DCT

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 02:58:56 AM »
I thought briefly of replacing the pins with aftermarket while I was at it, but, the BMW ones really fit tightly and keep the fairings held tightly.  They work perfectly, but there's a price to be paid.  :087:
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 06:13:14 PM »
Just a follow-up for you lads...I did indeed fit a "single" Honda VFR-Blackbird type "Push/Pull" pin to my XR in the front left of the lower chin fairing, I had to clean out the hole slightly but they fit ...and fit nice and tightly...I did a ~3000km ride/tour with some mates over the last 8 days including two track days at Phillip Island Moto-GP race circuit in Victoria, Australia and it stayed put....so I think I'll be changing out the others as well...much easier to use and you don't lose the center pin. :152:

On a side note...the XR is an absolute beast on the track for what is essentially a sport bike on stilts, I was only running the stock Bridgestone T30 tyres but they held on admirably for a ST tyre and made some chaps on their race tyre shod track bikes look rather sad..! I actually passed an older ZX-9 and couple of R1's down the straight, which was a bit odd :086:...didn't expect that :047:
Coming onto the straight out of turn 12 at full noise in 4th gear the XR was lifting the front end ever so slightly...certainly gets your attention. :005: But great fun too..!

Smithy.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 06:23:13 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

dysfunctional