Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Plastic Fairing Rivets  (Read 4853 times)

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Master
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
Re: Plastic Fairing Rivets
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 02:34:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Just a follow-up for you lads...I did indeed fit a "single" Honda VFR-Blackbird type "Push/Pull" pin to my XR in the front left of the lower chin fairing, I had to clean out the hole slightly but they fit ...and fit nice and tightly...I did a ~3000km ride/tour with some mates over the last 8 days including two track days at Phillip Island Moto-GP race circuit in Victoria, Australia and it stayed put....so I think I'll be changing out the others as well...much easier to use and you don't lose the center pin. :152:

On a side note...the XR is an absolute beast on the track for what is essentially a sport bike on stilts, I was only running the stock Bridgestone T30 tyres but they held on admirably for a ST tyre and made some chaps on their race tyre shod track bikes look rather sad..! I actually passed an older ZX-9 and couple of R1's down the straight, which was a bit odd :086:...didn't expect that :047:
Coming onto the straight out of turn 12 at full noise in 4th gear the XR was lifting the front end ever so slightly...certainly gets your attention. :005: But great fun too..!

Smithy.

Clean out meaning... file?  Regardless, this is tempting.  Sticking with the BMW pins is a mandate to either 1) have the dealer do all of your maintenance or 2) have a good supply on hand to replace the ones you will inevitably lose.

Glad you tore up the track on the 'XR.  I'm fully aware of how capable a performer it is, and have to constantly check my ego as the bike out performs my own ability as a rider.  The XR would kill me.  :012:
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 05:32:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Low-Brau [+]
Clean out meaning... file?  Regardless, this is tempting.  Sticking with the BMW pins is a mandate to either 1) have the dealer do all of your maintenance or 2) have a good supply on hand to replace the ones you will inevitably lose.

Glad you tore up the track on the 'XR.  I'm fully aware of how capable a performer it is, and have to constantly check my ego as the bike out performs my own ability as a rider.  The XR would kill me.  :012:

By "clean-out" I mean just run an 8mm drill through the hole, simple as that...

And yes, I'm also the same as you, the XR is a much better bike than I am a rider...a decent rider would get much more out of it than I..! :034:

Cheers,
Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline eljay998

• XR Member
  • From R to XR....
  • Bike: S1000XR sport SE
  • Town: hockley
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 05:48:40 PM »
49p each from the dealer.......
S1000XR sport SE

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Master
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 12:29:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by eljay998 [+]
49p each from the dealer.......

Seems reasonable
-Erik

-- zbdmark

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Master
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 07:27:56 PM »
Rehashing this as I button the fairings together for the slowly arriving riding season.

On a fiche, the part number for the BMW OEM Rivets is 51467002606.  Replacements by Rexca (NOT OEM) can be had on Amazon in packs of 30, and it appears worth the cost to have that many on hand.  As I typically work under the fairings in the Spring and Fall when the damned rivets are brittle, I break them continuously. Just like I did 5 minutes ago.  :013:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 07:29:16 PM by Low-Brau »
-Erik

-- zbdmark

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
  • Bike: HP Motorsport
  • Town: North Wales
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 10:39:39 AM »
eBay item number:182911163503

20 for £3.45

Just over 17 pence each

BMW Plastic Rivet Trim Clip Pack of 20 Clips

BMW Part Number: 51-46-7-002-606  Fits into a 6mm Hole Collar Diameter: 9.7mm Stem Length: 14mm See Pictures provided this clip is used to hold the wheel arch lining on the BMW E39 1995 to 2004 and many many other uses on BMW vehicles.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:40:48 AM by grizzle »

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 12:00:03 PM »
Good man,dropped the oil out of my X/R yesterday spent more time looking for the plastic pin that had dropped out of the rivet so just order such  :002:

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 09:47:03 PM »
Turned up today..fast or what  :001:

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Master
  • Teutonic RocketNaut