Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oil analysis 4700 miles  (Read 2084 times)

Offline vsteel

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Kuna, ID
Oil analysis 4700 miles
« on: April 28, 2017, 09:33:57 AM »
Wanted to share my oil analysis.  I have a hard time believing the 6K oil change when I can feel the oil breaking down because of the shifting.  Well here is what I found so far.  I guess the viscosity breakdown would explain the rougher shifting.   First was done by the dealer and the second one was done by me so I have Shell Rotella T6 in there now.  I think I will do another one around 4K or a little more and see how the viscosity is holding up and see if I want to take it all of the way to 6K.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Oil analysis 4700 miles
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 04:17:16 PM »
Interesting!! Can't ever remember running a bike to 6000 miles for the oil change because I always suspected the above.

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 01:40:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Interesting!! Can't ever remember running a bike to 6000 miles for the oil change because I always suspected the above.

Yet the final analysis is that he sees no problem with running the oil for another 2000 miles.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 03:49:00 AM »
Maybe just run 10w40 instead of 5w40?....Might help with the slightly low viscosity numbers your oil guy is seeing after 4000miles..??

Nice report too..! :028:

Cheers,
Smithy.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 03:50:45 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 07:07:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Maybe just run 10w40 instead of 5w40?

Cheers,
Smithy.

Don't do it BM have been on a very steep learning curve when it comes to oil viscosity on their 4 cylinder engine and 5wt is used for a reason the down side it's like piss and I'll be in no rush to do 6000 between oil changes looking at posts on here folks won't own them long enough to do that mileage  :001:

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 08:30:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Don't do it BM have been on a very steep learning curve when it comes to oil viscosity on their 4 cylinder engine and 5wt is used for a reason the down side it's like piss and I'll be in no rush to do 6000 between oil changes looking at posts on here folks won't own them long enough to do that mileage  :001:

I hear ya....5wt oil is indeed like water, especially in warmer places like here in Australia...I'm a bit "old-school" and have issues with these new "water-weight" oils... I know they're fine and work much better than oils from many years ago... but they just don't feel right to an old fella like me.  :034:

Cheers,
Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Nwj70

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 10:52:54 AM »
Sorry but that report is a load of bollocks. The first comment "the viscosity was a little thin", that is not a professional or science-based comment.

Why is it that home-garage enthusiasts seem to think they know better than a major manufacruers R&D department which spends tens of millions on development? Bottom line is that if BMW had a problem here they would be facing multi milion pound/euro/dollar claims for blown engines.

Just get on your bike and ride it, follow the oil change intervals prescribed. Job done. Stop overthinking it.

Offline vsteel

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Kuna, ID
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 03:39:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by Nwj70 [+]
Sorry but that report is a load of bollocks. The first comment "the viscosity was a little thin", that is not a professional or science-based comment.

Why is it that home-garage enthusiasts seem to think they know better than a major manufacruers R&D department which spends tens of millions on development? Bottom line is that if BMW had a problem here they would be facing multi milion pound/euro/dollar claims for blown engines.

Just get on your bike and ride it, follow the oil change intervals prescribed. Job done. Stop overthinking it.

I am an engineer and I always over think things.    I am also in manufacturing and you don't realize that while R&D might spend a lot of money,  the info then goes through legal, the quality department, marketing, sales, and a few other places.  Engineering is never has the end all be all say.    Engineering might say, 4K oil changes are needed.   PR says everyone is going green and we need to push it out to 10K.   Sales says it will wear the engines faster but they are for it so they can generate revenue, the quality department can't get behind it because they are worried about returns and warranty work.   Accounting looks at the data and says that if we go with 6K miles we get less life out of the engine but not enough that anyone could blame the oil but it will bring in more money for the dealerships, the average bike doesn't get a ton of miles so it will be OK and if we use this 5W40 it seems like special oil and we have a second tie in with dealerships.  Because the company did just have a nice agreement with that oil company to be the "official oil" of the company.

And that is how things are done in big companies.  The engineering team might come up with something wonderful but it has to filter through the bureaucrats.   

To tie it all together I am an engineer and I like to get data to make my decisions.