Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Thinking of a 2016 XR or Multistrada; help pls ?  (Read 6243 times)

Offline Tuscan727

• XR Junior
  • Bike: Ducati Monster
  • Town: Maidenhead
Thinking of a 2016 XR or Multistrada; help pls ?
« on: May 01, 2017, 07:13:31 PM »
Hi All

Thinking of a 2016 XR and love the whole package ; but tried 2 last year and a 2016 model a week ago. But just can't get passed the vibratation at around 5500 revs through the right handlebar and foot peg.

Can see lots of posts on the factory mods ; but can I pls check how many people had any mods and if you felt it solved the problem by 100% ?

Also, lots of posts on fuel tank leak ; is this a common enough issue for dealers to solve before they sell a bike now ?

Many thanks

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
Re: Thinking of a 2016 XR or Multistrada; help pls ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 08:30:11 PM »
The vibration issue is easily resolved with heavier bar ends from Cymarc, Evotech or HVMP. I was put off by the same issue but seeing the solution was an easy fix I bought a 2015 model last December. I picked up a set of the bar ends and it made a huge difference.

Offline Tuscan727

• XR Junior
  • Bike: Ducati Monster
  • Town: Maidenhead
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 08:35:38 PM »
That's great news! Thanks.

And from a lot of the posts around January when people were planning to get the factory mod done - did that go well ?

My figuring was that either one or the combination of BOTH the bar ends plus factory mod have completely eradicated the problem ?

Many thanks

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 08:51:35 PM »
Politically/socially/financially I should have bought a Multi we thought it had a better seating position two up and the motor was fairly relaxed what we struggled with was the bottom end grunt of the Multi my other half was always hanging on for dear life till I was into second even when I wasn't trying and we do own a twin cylinder bike(so she knows the drill)but the Multi is so aggressive where as the XR isn't I actually had the Duc for 4 days!!!it had the Sky Hook sus and I hated it.

The down side of the XR it can be vibey but a few miles and heavy bar ends deal with that but that isn't the elephant the room!!!!! The motor is 'Busy' and you have to ask yourself are you?? Because their are plenty of folk turned up on here shouting their mouths off about how good the bike is blah blah and bail out and go and buy a twin because they were just not honest with themselves.

Where the XR stands head and shoulders over the Multi is not only the extra HP but the quick shifter which takes the bike to another level and Ducati will have to fit one as stock to compete in the future.

Sorry if I didn't come on here as some XR salesman just seen far too many wannabes on here. :002:

But if I did buy a Multi it would be a Pikes Peak the problem being their 20 grand well the retail is !!!!!!.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 08:54:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tuscan727 [+]

And from a lot of the posts around January when people were planning to get the factory mod done - did that go well ?

No it didn't't the whole episode is a charade just miles and heavy bar ends and leave well alone.

Offline rmh999

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Swindon, Wilts
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 10:05:41 PM »
I have just switched from a 2014 Multi to an XR - the big kicker for me was the engine on the Multi was SOoooo much hard work around town  junctions etc, on the open road I loved it (always been a fan of the v2 engines) but after 2 years it was enough.

Its a bit weird as its my first IL4 engine but get used to the quiet at low revs but its super smooth and easy in the places the DUC was a nightmare...

got a good trade in and a 1 year old ex demo bike (At Gloucester BMW) for a good deal, loving the Quick Shift and got the NAV5 second hand to complete the bike. Only a couple of months and 600 miles but loving it so far,

Rob

Offline OW31

• XR Member
  • Town: Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 12:51:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tuscan727 [+]
Hi All

Thinking of a 2016 XR and love the whole package ; but tried 2 last year and a 2016 model a week ago. But just can't get passed the vibratation at around 5500 revs through the right handlebar and foot peg.

Can see lots of posts on the factory mods ; but can I pls check how many people had any mods and if you felt it solved the problem by 100% ?

Also, lots of posts on fuel tank leak ; is this a common enough issue for dealers to solve before they sell a bike now ?

Many thanks
I just bought a new XR, I really wanted the multistrada until I rode it..........
I have a V2 tuono as well as having owned numerous other Ducati's, so I'm used to twins, but the DVT motor is a shocker, nothing below 5500 and then it takes off like a two stroke coming on the pipe, trying to ride it round town is difficult and it still vibrates, but at a different frequency to the XR. The vibes on the multi make my hands numb, the vibes on the XR don't although superficially they feel worse.
The power on the multi can be fixed with a full system and a re-map(an extra $3500 tyvm), but when you're paying close to 30kAu$ for a bike having to spend an extra 10% of the purchase price to get it running right is a bit rich imo. I thought the non DVT multi was a fantastic bike but I wanted something new with a warranty so they were ruled out.

Offline Karlb

• XR Pro
  • My Life is a Blur
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Crockett, TX
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 03:18:13 AM »
rode with a buddy who had a multi for a few days last year, every time he went to start the bike, it was a question of would the bike recognize the keyless fob or not, sometimes it would fire right up, other times he would have to get out the fob and start holding it in different places to get the bike to know it was there, watching him try to get the bike to fire up for 2-3-4 mins was enough to put me off their keyless ignition. He hated that about the bike, would literally be screaming at it, said it happened a lot.
2016 Red Sled

Offline rmh999

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Swindon, Wilts
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 05:40:11 AM »
Yeah .. Keep your key away from mobile as they interfere but they had issues with the keyless.

Also I "ran out of fuel" with 120 miles/half tank still showing on the gauge ...the float sticks and just does now show correctly had it fixed under warranty and it still was not reliable and the part number I think ended with "e" - so fifth attempt.

And a special mention for Ducati assist who refused to acknowledge breakdown cover while I am stuck at the side of fast dual carriageway... As the bike did not "show in the list" ... Despite being less than 2 years old. They just hung up on me and if it was not for the dealer I would have been stranded. Ironic as the breakdown was due to a warranty issue and I was on way to dealer.

Overall not a good experience.

On the open road on the gas I still miss the noise and the vtwin bring / feel but would I go back ... Eerm no !! Is the xr perfect ... We all see over the next year .... 600 mile weekend coming up...

Rob

Offline ampj8

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 12:06:13 PM »
Test rode some and for me the sportier handling of the xr is one of the main arguments why I didn't considered the multi. Power and fun makes it easier go quick demands less of a rider. Now I do love the 1200 testastretta without dvt despite its jerkinness at low speeds which is normally reduced with a mapping with better mix. Ducatis normally demand more riding which can also be fun if one is in the mood to hustle it around etc.

Xr is overall a very effective package does most things well excels on several areas. IMO