Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Standard screen vibration  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Beastinblack

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Chester le st
Standard screen vibration
« on: May 01, 2017, 08:14:37 PM »
Hi - I like the look of the std screen so haven't changed it. My question is - do the MRA and others vibrate at speeds over 95 mph? My std one does.

Offline Hobo

• XR Member
  • Bike: KTM 1290GT
  • Town: Warwick
Re: Standard screen vibration
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 10:41:12 PM »
I have recently changed to the MRA Vario screen and I have not noticed any vibration ... but then I didn't notice any vibration on the standard screen either!

BTW, the MRA screen definitely reduces buffeting. I am used to sports bikes with standard or double bubble screens and am ok with my head being up in the air flow but the buffeting from the more upright screen on the XR got on my wick when touring.

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 01:28:09 PM »
I got buffeted about by the standard screen in its highest position, i then tried it in the low setting, much better. Ive never experienced the screen move a mm whilst riding though.
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline JRE

• XR Pro
  • Have a day
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR
  • Town: Cincinnati OH
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 01:40:13 PM »
I think think all move to some extent. The windshield assemblies are designed to break off in the event of an accident so you go through it rather than being more or less impaled on it. That's why it's not rock solid. It's pretty common on bike these days.
Joe

Offline scotti

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Teesside
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 02:51:02 PM »
The MRA screen moves more than the standard one simply because it is heavier.  Don't worry about it, it is fine and works much better than the standard - in either position.
Regards
Scotti

Offline Beastinblack

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 06:48:26 PM »
I expected some minor vibration because it's adjustable but it's more obtrusive than on any of my previous bikes, which includes gixxers, blades etc. It gets really bad north of 110 mph (on a private road of course).

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 11:21:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Beastinblack [+]
I expected some minor vibration because it's adjustable but it's more obtrusive than on any of my previous bikes, which includes gixxers, blades etc. It gets really bad north of 110 mph (on a private road of course).

We must also remember that "Gixxers & Blades" don't have moveable/adjustable screens either. Our XR screen is quite versatile and flexible compared to them, the screen mounts are not solid, nor should they be as it's designed to break off in the event of an accident...better you go through it... than it go through you!!

Cheers,
Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Beastinblack

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 11:25:51 PM »
Yes I appreciate that sports bikes don't have moveable screens. I was just indicating that I've had experience of riding all types of bikes. Cheers

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 11:36:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Beastinblack [+]
Yes I appreciate that sports bikes don't have moveable screens. I was just indicating that I've had experience of riding all types of bikes. Cheers

I hear ya... :001: I think many of us have experience of many different types of bikes... :028: Most of mine have been Honda V4's & V2's...there's a Blackbird thrown in there along the line too...a brilliant bike they are, I quite miss it actually :003:

Cheers,
Smithy.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:37:56 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline ampj8

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 05:06:45 PM »
The test ride XR I got some months ago had its screen vibrating on the higher position so when I was at speeds like 100+ Km/h that vibration translated into buffeting into my helmet including the respective noise.

When I got mine that was not happening. :084:

Therefore I assume it has to do with the stiffness on the adjustment of the windshield and its supports.
Now it does shake because of road pot holes etc. even with the MRA mounted but as said not in a rhythmical manner as the test ride one did.

So I would check all the bolts and mounts on yours first. Make sure they are all well fastened. Or ask your dealer to adjust them.