Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New member from Helensburgh  (Read 999 times)

Offline sevenup

• XR Member
  • Town: Helensburgh
New member from Helensburgh
« on: May 05, 2017, 08:07:03 PM »
I'm moving on from the K1600GT after a K13GT and some R bikes. I've had a look at the Multistrada and I like it but after the 6 of the K16 I'm not ready for twins just yet. I'm off south this weekend to deliver my old bike to its new owner and plan on hunting out a decent recent XR preferably in red (not sure about the white as my current k is the white/silver. I've seen a Matt blue advertised but not sure how I feel about the colour. It'll be the first time on a chain drive since I passed my test in the late 70s. Is a scotoiler still the done thing? How long do chains sprockets abd tyres last? Tyres? They seem to be sports bike tyres. What am I looking for? I'm used to metzler z8s or PR4s. Any help/advice would be appreciated

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Kildare
Re: New member from Helensburgh
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 01:00:24 PM »
Welcome sevenup  :821:

I haven't fitted a Scotoiler as the automatic ones seem to be temperamental. There are other offering out there - there's a couple of them reviewed here - http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/automatic-motorcycle-chain-oilers

I just use a good quality 'anti-fling' spray after every ride. Only takes a minute or two & I can see that the entire chain is lubed.

Tyre life will depend very much on how sticky they are & how you ride. Some bikes came with Diablo's which seemed to be good, but soft, tyres. Mine had Bridgestones on it but by 7k kilometres they were well shagged. Currently have RoadSmart3's on which have done nearly 7000 KM & still look good for loads more miles. I like a bit of speed but don't ride it like I stole it....

Hope that helps  :038:

Offline sevenup

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 11:26:20 PM »
The tyres are diablos. Not sure how they will last but I'm not a racehead so hoping for decent mileage. Just drove the bike back from Oxford today. Arrived back about 40 minutes ago so can't see to do anything until tomorrow when I'll clean the bike and fit the radiator guards that have arrived. Not sure about the Scottoiler but I've seen another version Tunturi (?). Jury still out on it and I'll use chain lube manually until I can raise some cash. The only chains that I have lubed since 1977 are bicycle chains 😂

Offline clanadam

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Johnstone
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 05:02:25 PM »
Good to see another "local" on here! If you've got a centre stand then lubing the chain by hand is really straightforward - every couple of hundred miles of so should be enough along with the occasional clean depending on bad weather riding. In the past I've also carried a small can about if on overnight runs but I'm not that pedantic about it.

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Canterbury
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 05:07:28 PM »
I wouldn't worry unduly about the chain, I've never had a shaft drive bike and usually get 15 - 16k miles out of a chain & sprockets.  My previous 4 bikes were V-twins which give the chain a harder time than an inline 4.  And I don't bother with a chain oiler as they seem to be feast or famine, just lube it with decent quality stuff regularly.
When you consider i was talking to a bloke in the IOM last year who was averaging 20k between replacement shaft drives on his 1200GS  :087: it doesn't seem so bad.

Offline sevenup

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 05:14:40 PM »
20k on a driveshaft. Unbelievable! I never had any problems with bmw running gear. Now electrics. That's another story entirely.

I've bought some SDOC100 chain cleaner and lubricant and I'll have a go tomorrow.

dysfunctional