Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Enhancements made  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Wardy

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR-SE Sport
  • Town: Cardiff
Enhancements made
« on: May 06, 2017, 08:46:09 PM »
Six weeks into XR ownership and a number of tweaks made:

1.  Evotech tail tidy - Took more time taking OE mudguard, etc, off than it took to replace with tail tidy. Really nicely engineered and fitted a treat, with useful instructions provided online. Looks fab, with 8 x 6 plate to pacify les Gendarmes.
2.  Evotech radiator/oil cooler guards - Again, really nicely made and fairly easy to fit, we're it not for the cruddy BMW push connectors to reinstall the belly pan. Got there though and (in my humble opinion) they've added a subtlety to the front aspect of the bike, being black, as well as saving the rad from stone damage.
3.  Tinted screen - ordered one first from Powerbronze. Wasn't happy with aesthetic quality so sent it back. In fairness, PB were very good about it. Decided to fit HP official tinted screen, after recovering from cost! Very happy with outcome.
4. Bos SSEC slip on - I wanted a less obtrusive can than the lumpy OE item. Had seen Bos cans on other bikes over the years and always fancied one. Delighted with the look its provided. Slightly deeper tone in "Road" mode....  bass-baritone roar in "Dynamic" with pronounced crackle on overrun. Result!

Bank balance too sore to stand any more gifts to self for time being! Next "gifts"? Tyres....  not liking the OE Bridgestones much - lack of feel. Happy to sacrifice mileage for stickiness, so thinking Conti Sport Attacks, as have loved them on previous VFR's. Ideas welcomed!

Levers? Long reach on clutch kinda disappointing on such a premium bike. I'm worried about replacements because of posts on quick shifter problems. HP replacements look OK but at £150 a side????

Other than that, loving the XR. Took an R out while mine was having first service/derestriction and happily surprised that in almost all conditions (except pond flat dual carriageway) that the XR suspension setup allows faster riding.

Happy days!

Offline skapan

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000
  • Town: Toronto
Re: Enhancements made
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 10:12:38 PM »
You said tire ideas welcomed.  I'm just in the first 500 km. of Roadsmart 3 Dunlops, and they are great. But haven't tried the Contis for years, Had Rosso II's on before, and Dunlop Q3's, the latest are the greatest.

Offline vuk

• XR Member
  • Bike: white S1000XR
  • Town: Maribor,Slovenia
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 12:44:34 PM »
I decided for M7RR from Metzeler. Very happy about it. Much, much better than the Bridgestones.
HP levers won't solve the clutch lever problems, because it won't get the lever nearer. TryABM Synto, I use them on my bike and work flawless. And look good also.

Offline Wardy

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR-SE Sport
  • Town: Cardiff
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 01:10:28 PM »
Thanks for the tyre ideas - I'll take a good look at them.

Offline Lehi

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 05:31:32 PM »
Wardy can you comment on how the rear light and locking mechanism is affected by the new tail tidy please?   Any photos to show?

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 08:24:30 PM »
I was considering the HP clutch lever too, but was told by the dealer that it's only about a cm nearer, which doesn't seem worth it. It's like you have to use the clutch that often so giving it a miss.

Offline ampj8

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 10:10:00 PM »
I usually get good mileage from tires also due to the nature of the roads around. Then I look at my T30's and wonder when will they finish? I want to put on it a set of Metzelers M7RR!

Offline vuk

• XR Member
  • Bike: white S1000XR
  • Town: Maribor,Slovenia
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 10:30:17 PM »
T30-took them off at 5000km...got tired of it. M7RR work very well...got them through a bigger tour now and almost 200 km on the D8 coastal road in Croatia...very satisfied.

Offline Tommac

• XR Member
  • Town: Chesterfield
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 10:29:02 AM »
Just had Metzeler Roadtec 01s fitted to replace the original T30s.  Still scrubbing in but they feel like lovely tyres and they apparently last quite well.  £290 fitted at my house.

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
  • Town: SoCal
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 07:16:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wardy [+]
Six weeks into XR ownership and a number of tweaks made:

1.  Evotech tail tidy - Took more time taking OE mudguard, etc, off than it took to replace with tail tidy. Really nicely engineered and fitted a treat, with useful instructions provided online. Looks fab, with 8 x 6 plate to pacify les Gendarmes.
Hopefully you won't be riding in the rain. I took one day ride on wet roads and the entire back of my jacket was covered with dirt as was the rear seat. I had removed the standard rear rack and replaced it with the short one that has just the passenger hand rails so maybe that made it worse. I put back the original fender.

Marc
'18 Honda Goldwing DCT
'17 Honda VFR1200X DCT

dysfunctional