Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New North Yorks Member  (Read 928 times)

Offline KSW

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: North Yorkshire
New North Yorks Member
« on: May 08, 2017, 03:36:23 PM »
Soon to be an XR owner test rode the 2015 a few vibes were noticeable but they were no mods to the bike. I currently ride a Blade and need something more comfy and this certainly meets the requirements along with the performance and smooth engine. Done a lot of research on the XR can anyone tell me if the 2017 XR is a definite improvement over previous models. Also I have noticed some of the casting on the crank cases looks quite a course finish.

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
Re: New North Yorks Member
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 09:45:24 PM »
 :400:

Ride a 16 plate,  not sure about the new bikes ride or casing..
Must be in you mid to late forties then, blade, best bike ever but shine the light me wrists n neck dint half suffer if I didn't cane it everywhere.
still miss it, 06 red n black.. :062:

« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 10:03:35 PM by Gatsoburner »
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 10:43:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by KSW [+]
Soon to be an XR owner test rode the 2015 a few vibes were noticeable but they were no mods to the bike. I currently ride a Blade and need something more comfy and this certainly meets the requirements along with the performance and smooth engine. Done a lot of research on the XR can anyone tell me if the 2017 XR is a definite improvement over previous models. Also I have noticed some of the casting on the crank cases looks quite a course finish.

'15, '16 & '17 are basically the same bikes...'17 had minor changes to engine and/or fuel mapping etc and gets 5 more ponies to take it to 165hp. Along with the red, white and grey, the '17 also comes in the new "Matte Blue" colour .... '17 also has revised handlebar mounts to help with high frequency vibes and the new rubbers can be retrofitted to the earlier bikes, it's a bit "hit 'n miss" as to whether it fixes the vibes or not though, heavier bar weights help, mine's not that bad vibe wise as to be bothersome, just some minor buzz ~4-6krpm.....but all in all ....they're all great machines and you can't really go wrong with any of them. :001:

Yes, engine castings are a course-ish finish, that's just the way they are....and essentially the same as the R & RR engine casings.

Loving my '17 thus far, can't fault it.. :152: Some get the odd niggle here and there, but as long as they're serviced & maintained properly, they should be fine, same goes for any make/model of bike I suspect, none are perfect.

Cheers,
Smithy.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 10:48:26 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline KSW

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies .... I think this issue with vibrations is maybe not that bad in most cases, I had a 09 HRC blade from new and that had vibes through bars and foot pegs and my current Blade a 2014 also had from new has some minor vibes once you get up into the Rev range . I love the blade  and will miss it ,but it is getting more uncomfortable every time I ride it , noticed it more this season. And considering I won't see my mid fifties anymore I think the XR is definitely the right bike for comfort but still having the inline four performance.
Thanks KSW 

dysfunctional