Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Should I or shouldn't I?  (Read 2328 times)

Offline phil

• XR Junior
  • Town: SE
Should I or shouldn't I?
« on: May 09, 2017, 12:36:59 PM »
Hi everyone, great site.

I am considering giving up my S1000RR that I bought new back in 2010 for a new XR. The trouble is I also have a Triumph 1050 Tiger, so almost the best of both worlds and this is where my dilemma starts, do I px the RR or just the Triumph or BOTH? At the moment I cant decide.

When I turned up at the dealers (Coopers Tunbridge Wells) for my test ride I rode there on my Triumph and thought that the XR would replace it, wrong!! I got to push on a little on the XR and it felt like I could do without my RR if I bought the XR.  My test ride on the XR was about 2 and half hours and I was impressed with the handling, power, seating position and the modes, not too sure about the ESA though, the road suspension setting felt a bit laboured/slow in re-acting but the Dynamic setting was fine. I couldn't see that I could fine tune it to my own preference. Should I go for a bike without the ESA? Anyhow, I liked it hence my joining on here and reading a little about the bike before I make my final decision.

Oh, and a little about myself, I have been riding now (2nd time around) for 30 years, I was fortunate enough to be taught some roadcraft in my early 30's that has probably kept me in one piece and I have passed on my knowledge to others over the last 20 years or so. I usually cover about 10K miles a year riding for Fun all year round. I am not really a fan of track days but have been on track a few times and spent far to many hours at the Nurburgring. 
So, anyone want to help me decide?

Phil

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Canterbury
Re: Should I or shouldn't I?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 05:06:54 PM »
 :400:
For what its worth in my view if you get rid of the RR for an XR you aren't really giving up your sports bike - you are just getting a more comfortable one!
I switched from pure sports bikes to a Multistrada about 5 years ago and to the XR 8 months ago. Apart from on track I think they are probably quicker in the real world.

Can see why the XR and Tiger are a bit similar (apart from performance) so why not get rid of both?  You could then buy the XR and something completely different.  :152:

Offline Morse

• XR Member
  • Town: Northampton
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 05:27:40 PM »
I've done 8K miles on my XR and am considering selling my Panigale 1199S I rarely ride now because the XR does everything from pushing on to doing the shopping. Previously a GSA was my daily rider and I needed a sports bike.

Looking for something completely different, probably a classic like a Norton Commando I had over 40 years ago.

Offline phil

• XR Junior
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 07:36:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by PL2112 [+]
For what its worth in my view if you get rid of the RR for an XR you aren't really giving up your sports bike - you are just getting a more comfortable one!
I switched from pure sports bikes to a Multistrada about 5 years ago and to the XR 8 months ago. Apart from on track I think they are probably quicker in the real world.

Can see why the XR and Tiger are a bit similar (apart from performance) so why not get rid of both?  You could then buy the XR and something completely different.  :152:
Thanks, you are spot on...

Is the XR good for 2 up? forgot to ask.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 07:44:40 PM by phil »

Offline phil

• XR Junior
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 07:42:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Morse [+]
I've done 8K miles on my XR and am considering selling my Panigale 1199S I rarely ride now because the XR does everything from pushing on to doing the shopping.
Thanks for your reply Morse, I guess I am not the only one that is considering/giving up their sportbike for the likes of the XR...  :062:

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Cheshire
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 10:33:32 PM »
I am in the lucky position of having an XR and a Tiger Sport. People say why have two bikes that are the same? They aren't. To an outsider they may appear similar, but they're light years apart and each have their own character. The XR is as close to a sports bike as I wish to go. I tour Europe on both bikes, have  blast when I want to. They fulfil my current needs admirably. JMHO

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 09:36:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by PL2112 [+]

That's it in a nutshell  :152:

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
  • Town: Canterbury
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 04:31:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by phil [+]
Is the XR good for 2 up? forgot to ask.
Sorry can't help you there, my missus stopped coming on the back years ago. Despite going to the South of France, Italy and honeymooning in the IOM by bike when we were youngsters she's not keen any more.
I know there are a few on here who go two up @Forestboy and @Winger I believe tour two up on theirs.  The quick shift must help to avoid bashing helmet syndrome...........oo err missus!

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 08:35:38 PM »
Is the 1050 Tiger the latest Flybywire?

Offline phil

• XR Junior
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 08:56:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Is the 1050 Tiger the latest Flybywire?
Nope, its a 2011 standard bike with no electronics. Why do you ask?

dysfunctional