Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Another new member from North Yorkshire  (Read 1172 times)

Offline OldSteve

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000XR
  • Town: Pickering
Another new member from North Yorkshire
« on: May 10, 2017, 05:58:56 PM »
Hi there.  I am collecting my used 2017 S1000XR Sport SE on Saturday from Surrey so it will be a long day and a good test ride home!  I am trading a Triumph Tiger 800 - nice comfy bike but lacks the sparkle I am hoping for from the BMW.  I also have an R1200RS but don't find it comfortable enough for long, multi-day tours so am really hoping the XR will do the job.

Offline KSW

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: North Yorkshire
Re: Another new member from North Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 08:03:40 PM »
Hello.. Old Steve hoping to aquire the XR in the next 4 to 5 weeks I would be interested to know what you think in terms of the vibes that have supposed to have been sorted on the 2017 XR, once I aquire mine it would be good to meet up and compare notes maybe I am not that far from you and know pickering quite well.
 :400:

Offline OldSteve

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 08:10:23 AM »
Hi - I will let you know my thoughts when I get the bike home.  Certainly the 2016 bike I test rode had noticeable vibes through the handlebars at motorway speeds so I am really hoping this later model will have much improved on that.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 12:20:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by KSW [+]
Hello.. Old Steve hoping to aquire the XR in the next 4 to 5 weeks I would be interested to know what you think in terms of the vibes that have supposed to have been sorted on the 2017 XR, once I aquire mine it would be good to meet up and compare notes maybe I am not that far from you and know pickering quite well.
 :400:

Have had my '17 XR for ~6 weeks and although the vides are indeed there @ ~4-6k-rpm, they're not intrusive...to be honest I hardly notice now. But we've found not every bike is the same as the next...and not every rider is annoyed as much by the vibes as another...! :027:

If this is all I can whinge about on the bike, I need to eat some cement and harden up a bit..! :016: The bike is awesome otherwise.

Cheers,
Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline OldSteve

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 10:29:50 AM »
Well, near 300 mile trip home, mixed motorway and A roads.  Bike is fast (obviously) but more importantly for me it is comfortable and easily manageable.  There seems to be a small spot just under 5k rpm where there is a bit of vibration and a slight "tingle" at other revs but nothing of note or to cause a problem.  My only niggles are the cheapskate omissions of air temp gauge, tyre pressure monitors, locking sat nav mount and the unadjustable clutch lever - why??????  So far, very pleased.

Offline KSW

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 08:21:19 PM »
Is the bike an improvement regarding the vibes over the 2016 one .... I thought there were a air temp gauge ! Is that a definite no .
Are you pleased with the build quality of the bike ie finish / paintwork etc

Offline OldSteve

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 09:07:37 AM »
Vibes on the new bike are much less than on the one I test rode - definitely not a concern.  There is an "inlet air" temp in the track info screen which is probably close to an ambient air temperature.  Finish seems good, but obviously only time will tell.

Offline Ringmaster999

• XR Pro
  • Ride today like tomorrow may not come
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Vale of Glam.
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 03:28:10 PM »
Welcome OldSteve. Enjoy the bike as I am sure you will :001:
Live for today

dysfunctional