Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Running in new XR  (Read 3191 times)

Offline KSW

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: North Yorkshire
Running in new XR
« on: May 10, 2017, 08:10:46 PM »
Any one advise what the RPM range is for the first 600 miles , I know there is a limiter up to 9k rpm until the first service just wondered what the general rule is up to the 600 miles.
 :084:

Offline johnnienofish

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: MANCHESTER
Re: Running in new XR
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 09:10:14 PM »
ride it like you stole it, that will loosen the engine up for you, don't be afraid to use it up-to the limiter,  :152:
proper preparation prevents piss poor performance

Online smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 11:02:33 PM »
Yeah what johnnienofish said...just don't do a lot of constant speed or motorway stuff, put the engine under load every now and then, up hills, hard accels etc...1000km or 600miles will go pretty quickly... :001: Then you can really open her up, for what is basically glorified trail bike, they go like the clappers. Certainly surprised me the first time I gave her a bit of welly..! :005:

Enjoy it.

Cheers,
Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline LDrider 191

• XR Member
  • No matter where you go....... There you are
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: San Diego
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 01:07:03 AM »
as others mentioned - - run it like you plan on riding it - with the following:
1.  Do NOT lug the engine
2.  Vary the RPM's while riding - and it is better to keep them on the higher end than the lower end.
       a.  whatever the rpm - don't leave it there for long.  Vary it!  Vary it!
3.  Personally - I would ride it up to 9k on the tach, but I wouldn't leave it there long.
4.  If there is a resonant buzz somewhere in your rpm range -- I try to ride at that RPM for a bit. 
5.  Part of breaking in is allowing the bike to go through heat/cool cycle.  That creaking and cracking and other strange noises a bike makes when it is cooling down - I have taken a new bike and ridden till it is well up to operating temps and then shut down and let it cool - rinse and repeat.  I have no factual knowledge that this helps, but I can say that every bike I've used that heat/cool cycle with has lasted longer than typical.
6.  I'd be careful not to over heat the bike.  traffic would not be your friend when breaking in.  A nice twisty mountain pass would be the best. 
7.  I'm not one for clean bikes, but I always say to wash a new bike - checking for loose screws, bolts, etc.  After break in - it is also a good idea to go over the bike in detail - checking the chain for stretch and adjustment as well as any buzzy parts that might be loosening. 
8.  others will disagree - but after you have the bike in for service and they unplug it.  I kept my shift light at 9k for a couple of thousand miles (went over it often, but tried to limit my fun to 9k) then I raised it to 10.  that's just me - more for my confidence level in the bike than for the bike.  The XR can out ride me any day of the week  - this was more of a sanity check for me. 
9.  Also part of my imagination, but it sort of makes sense..... after break in - continue to vary speed.  I've had 2 bikes where I rode them way too much on freeway during and after break in - both of those bikes seemed to gravitate toward the speed limit.  or run better at the speed limit.  I often found myself thinking I was cruising at 75mph only to see the bike had settled at 65 or whatever.  It was like they broke in at that harmonic.  Again - no proof - totally anecdotal - but since then I have always tried to vary the bike as much as possible even if on a Interstate or highway run - to keep this from happening.  It is VERY easy in the American west to get on a droning highway and travel several hundred mile stretches on cruise control and not really have to get off except to pass someone (or even then it would depend on what speed it was set). 
10.  CRUISE CONTROL DURING BREAK IN IS BAD !!

Offline KSW

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 09:07:01 AM »
What about rad guards on the bike from new does this affect the cooling ... Obviously I want to protect the rad and oil coolers from any damage from day one.

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 05:32:52 PM »
Pretty much what's been said above - give it a bit of hardship but don't abuse it  :028:

*Originally Posted by LDrider 191 [+]
I kept my shift light at 9k for a couple of thousand miles (went over it often, but tried to limit my fun to 9k) then I raised it to 10.
I have mine set at 7k. Just cos I love seeing it coming on  :164:

*Originally Posted by KSW [+]
What about rad guards on the bike from new does this affect the cooling
Nope. Certainly not as much as a hole in the rad would...

Offline LDrider 191

• XR Member
  • No matter where you go....... There you are
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: San Diego
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 05:42:06 PM »
What about rad guards on the bike from new does this affect the cooling ... Obviously I want to protect the rad and oil coolers from any damage from day one.

It could depend on where you are --- Unless you are riding in the desert at extreme temperatures - you are probably a LOT better off with radiator and oil cooler guards than you would be with a empty radiator or oil sump.  Since I only got the bike in like October - my desert riding has been in the winter, so I can't really comment on differences in coolant temps.  But I do know that the rad. guard has saved at least some good sized dings just by looking at it.  If you were really worried about it - go with a Fenda Extenda - and add the guards later -
I ride across the desert frequently from San Diego to Southern Utah - across the Mojave Desert, Death Valley and through some areas where 2 years ago in July it was 124 F.  I wouldn't worry about the guards (I would worry about me, though).  As long as you are moving and not crawling it wouldn't be a problem. 

Online smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 08:07:04 PM »

Hi KSW,
What the other guys have said...I bought my XR in late March, I was a bit paranoid about getting stone damage to my radiator/oil cooler so I ordered a set of guards.... and only fitted them a week or two back....TBH I've not noticed any difference in coolant temps with or without the guards. Well worth the investment....Only takes a small rock to ruin an otherwise great day.

Cheers,
Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline KSW

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 08:50:33 AM »
Thanks for the feed back guys, I think I will have them fitted prior to collecting bike as where I am they are doing the usual surface dressing on lots of the roads and the loose chippings are a bloody nightmare and do a lot of damage to cars .... not to mention what a loose chipping would do to the bike.
Cheap and horrible way of maintaining the roads .

Offline Beastinblack

• XR Member
  • Town: Chester le st
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 09:03:06 AM »
I'd recommend the Evotech guards - I transferred them from my S1000r and you can see where they have prevented real damage. I live in north east uk too, so a regular peppering with stone clippings is the norm.