Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bmw pannier shelf  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Ishawy

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Preston
Bmw pannier shelf
« on: May 15, 2017, 04:34:07 PM »
Hi 👋 Guys and Lady's as anybody removed the Shelf out of there panniers?🤔
As my good lady feels that it restricts the amount of gear we/she can get in them. So I was wondering if anyone as removed them and if so was it easy enough to do and was it detrimental to the panniers !!!!!!!

Offline Karlb

• XR Pro
  • My Life is a Blur
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Crockett, TX
Re: Bmw pannier shelf
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 05:26:40 PM »
Looking at it, it appears you can remove the inner layer of the bag, but that will probably both weaken its structure and allow more flex at the mounting points. This means possibly allowing the bag to become dislodged from the bike or over time crack the bags outer layer.  Looks like it would open the contents of the bag to the locking and latching mechanisms, this might risk things getting stuck in the mechanism and preventing removing or opening the bag or getting whatever lube is behind that layer (if any) onto the nags (typo but left for descriptive flair) :008: contents. you could remove the inner layer and dremel off the shelf but I don't see it making enough space to be worth while, maybe an extra t shirt or panties over what it will hold now.
2016 Red Sled

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
Re: Bmw pannier shelf
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 10:08:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ishawy [+]
Hi 👋 Guys and Lady's as anybody removed the Shelf out of there panniers?🤔
As my good lady feels that it restricts the amount of gear we/she can get in them. So I was wondering if anyone as removed them and if so was it easy enough to do and was it detrimental to the panniers !!!!!!!

Best if you pack for her, way plenty room with a top box too, trash the inners and you may have no panniers. I've never bought the inner bags for this reason, reduces your carry space too much..just my opinion...
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.