Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Range indicator  (Read 5420 times)

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
Range indicator
« on: May 22, 2017, 08:23:20 AM »
I just wanted to check that my tank range indicator is working ok.  I got off Le Shuttle yesterday and filled up at the Esso station nearby.  The range indicator of the dash showed 155 miles.  I road back home, I checked the indicator again as I passed Cheshunt after 82 miles and the range indicator still showed 155 miles.  Is this how it works or do others see a range greater than 155 miles?  Thanks.

Online philbuck

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Cheshire
Re: Range indicator
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 08:52:06 AM »
In BMW's infinite wisdom, this is how it works. I have heard that it may be possible for a dealer to play around with it, but that's only a rumour !!

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 10:43:44 AM »
Yeah that's how it works and too be honest it's not a problem once you're  used to it.
 Blimey over 80 miles and still on 155 I've never even got close to that. Best I've ever done on a full tank is 180 miles and its 150ish regularly. Ran it down to 7 miles on the gauge on Saturday got 18.3 litres in with 163 miles on the tripometer.

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 12:28:40 PM »
As said once you get used to it ......

I once played the game of miles to go on the Sat nav Vs miles to empty on the range

10 miles to go and 10 miles of fuel
5 miles to go nil miles of fuel !!

I made it though ....
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 05:24:08 PM »
I filled up yesterday with 16 miles to go and only got 16.8ltr in, I've had just over 180 out of a tank full and when I say full I mean it. 

In the manual it says fill to the bottom of the filler but when you look at the shape of the tank then your missing a couple of litres at least, no issue most of the time but for the long distance trips it could be one or two less stops bladder dependant!
After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 05:34:16 PM »
Same here I fill to the brim can be a pain getting those  last 2 litres in but on a long haul they're needed. Saturday was the most I've ever got in usually it's about 17 and a bit.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 04:14:17 AM »
Just remove that silly inner filler neck, (some of the other BMW forums have this info too)....remove the fuel cap trim, just one screw and two rubber grommets....pop the locking cap off, remove the two hoses.....the filler neck is held on via a "bayonet" type fitting, just twist and remove it, then install it in the nearest waste facility. Then drill a 2-3mm breather hole in the remaining ~35mm plastic neck ~10mm from the top and bob's your aunty..! Easy to fill right to the top, (easy ~1.5 liters extra).....just remember to take it for a short ride afterwards this otherwise the heat expansion will have the overflow piddling all over the ground, or your foot :034:

Smithy.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 04:18:23 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline dexradio

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Ashford
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 08:18:38 PM »
I get about 180-200 mile on a tank depending on how I ride. That would be mostly Motorway riding. I ran the Range down to Zero a couple of nights ago, the display went to 3 dashes ( - - - ) As I understand it you still have 4l of Reserve at that point, can anyone confirm that's correct or not? I may just have been lucky and I had a petrol station within a couple of miles of it going to - - -

Dex.

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 09:21:53 PM »
186 miles today 6 miles left on dash 17.9 litres to brim.

Offline dexradio

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Ashford
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 07:34:27 AM »
I filled the tank to the brim this morning, and did an 80 mile ride to work, its still showing 155 miles of Range. All motorway with some cruise control @ 85mph for the first 20 miles or so, after that it starts to get busy and needing to filter. The bike has 1700 miles of it, hoping it might improve a bit more, but don't think its too bad. I am in "Road" mode, not sure if that is more fuel efficient than "Dynamic" or not?

Dex.

dysfunctional