Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Exhaust tone opinions  (Read 2209 times)

Offline theberber

• XR Junior
  • Bike: TRI XR SE
  • Town: MALDON
Exhaust tone opinions
« on: May 24, 2017, 05:54:31 AM »
 I realise this is all subjective....I have come from Ducati Monster to now own a XR SE. So far I'm very happy with it. I did test ride an S1000R which I loved but really i wanted more wind protection. Riding the R I loved the popping rumble of the standard exhaust. My dealer says the difference between the XR standard and Aka is not worth paying for. So, any suggestions on best sound from a slip on to try and get a deeper lower tone? cheers :020:
To Dare is to Do....and old timers did it first...Still a hooligan and still lovin' it

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
Re: Exhaust tone opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 07:11:37 PM »
The holy grail of questions... :084:

Good luck, I'll follow the link   :027:
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline ampj8

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 10:16:42 PM »
I've paid for the Akra as I got a good price also it looks a little better IMO. Sound-wise you get a less "tin can" type of sound for a lower toned resonant sound.
When removing the dB which makes little noise difference you get a bit more of the same tone.
However on the XR the air box takes most of the soundtrack to the rider. Compared to the R where the air box hurls a lot less so the exhaust is recognizable.

Now you have other options to compare problem is that YT don't let one have a better sound quality on the clips so it is not noticeable the difference.

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 11:47:36 PM »
Was talking to a guy with an Akra on a S1XR last week and asked him to start it, have too say a much nicer deeper tone and not really any louder. But bloody hell it's pig ugly imo even uglier than the standard can and that's bloody awful. Would like a deeper tone on mine but could never justify the cost of an Akra plus I don't like the look of it.

Offline ampj8

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 09:14:31 AM »
Try the BOS exhaust. I had one in my S1KR.
Reading the post here about it seems it has less resonance and if packed similar like the one I had you might find a better low tone sound off it.
It is slimmer and probably they have two finishes.

Or the LeoVince i did liked that too from what I could see and hear, they have a black version as well. If your is Euro 3 or if in your country law on noise or pollution is meaningless then you can do that for a euro 4 one.

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 10:18:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by forestboy [+]
Was talking to a guy with an Akra on a S1XR last week and asked him to start it, have too say a much nicer deeper tone and not really any louder. But bloody hell it's pig ugly imo even uglier than the standard can and that's bloody awful. Would like a deeper tone on mine but could never justify the cost of an Akra plus I don't like the look of it.

Could agree more  :028:
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline theberber

• XR Junior
  • Bike: TRI XR SE
  • Town: MALDON
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 05:13:36 AM »
This is more like it - for me anyway  :431: :082:
I also looked at Mivv but sounded the same as stock to me.

To Dare is to Do....and old timers did it first...Still a hooligan and still lovin' it

Offline JohnnyBeGood

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 10:55:54 AM »
These Cobra's sound very nice to me.
Would like to hear it passing by with higher rpm.

Offline Chicken Strip

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '16 White XR
  • Town: San Diego
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 05:42:20 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who put my rim stripes on wrong.  I've got these Raptor's coming from Germany, hopefully they'll sound like the Cobra's.

Raptor exhaust / HP sport seat / BM crash bars / Nav VI / Dunlop Q3+'s / Puig screen / Synto levers / TPX radar detector / D.I.D gold X chain / HVMP bar ends / RRG cooler guards / Wunderlich f&r fender extenders & big brake lever / Hepco and Becker stand enlarger / R&G f&r axle sliders / rim tape

Offline Lehi

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 11:01:37 PM »
Been searching for months to find an alternative to the big, heavy ugly OEM can.   And sorry to say, I don't like the Akra - on looks or price.  Have found very few makers who do a slip-on for the XR.   The only one I liked was the Cobra / Raptor and finally Pipewerx.com decided to make one to fit.   There are one or two others, but they didn't appeal.  Nearly bought the Cobra, then my son found BOS and for my taste it fits the bill.   Compared with the OEM it's smaller, much lighter, beautifully engineered, shorter, slightly conical rather than same dia and carbonised!!   No removable baffles, but it makes a richer and slightly deeper sound - and it pops nicely on the down-shift.  I think it suits the scale of the bike too!!  See for yourself.