Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New member looking for help  (Read 2488 times)

Offline alasdairPP

• XR Junior
  • Town: Channel Islands
New member looking for help
« on: May 28, 2017, 04:19:32 PM »
Hello everyone, I am a new member living in the Channel Islands and recently taken delivering of a new XR SE Sport.  I wonder if anyone out there can help me with an issue with my new bike.

I bought the bike on the strength of riding one for 7 days earlier this year in New Zealand.  It was a replacement for my intended hire bike which suffered a prang a few days before I was due to pick it up.  I have to say I was nervous of it to start with as I'm not that tall but by the end of the week I was in love.

The guy hiring it did warn me about the vibes and I did notice them a little but not too bad so when I ordered the bike I insisted it had to be a 2017 spec machine.  I've just had it to France this weekend and was very disappointed to find the dreaded vibes, especially between 4500-5500 rpm.  The local dealer had got the bike it from UK, to save a 12 week delivery time, and I now wonder if it is a 2017 model, can it be checked against frame numbers or is there another way I can use to check if I've been sold the spec I wanted?

Otherwise its a rocket ship, but everyone on this forum knows that  :169:  Thanks for your help.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: New member looking for help
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 05:40:54 PM »
You do not say why you insisted on a 17 but go to page 3 and look for My 2017 XR.

Offline Chicken Strip

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '16 White XR
  • Town: San Diego
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 06:06:49 PM »
It's been reported that the "'17 fix" didn't really fix anything and sometimes made the vibes worse.  Try adding heavier bar end weights (HVMP) and retorquing the handlebar mounting bolts.
Raptor exhaust / HP sport seat / BM crash bars / Nav VI / Dunlop Q3+'s / Puig screen / Synto levers / TPX radar detector / D.I.D gold X chain / HVMP bar ends / RRG cooler guards / Wunderlich f&r fender extenders & big brake lever / Hepco and Becker stand enlarger / R&G f&r axle sliders / rim tape

Offline alasdairPP

• XR Junior
  • Town: Channel Islands
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 09:22:38 PM »
Thanks for that advise, any particular weight for the end weights and do you have a torque setting?

Offline Chicken Strip

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '16 White XR
  • Town: San Diego
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 10:45:46 PM »
Here you go: http://www.hvmp.com/BMW-S1000XR-Bar-Ends-p/bmw-s1000xr-bar-ends.htm

I believe they recommend tightening and using blue thread lock.
Raptor exhaust / HP sport seat / BM crash bars / Nav VI / Dunlop Q3+'s / Puig screen / Synto levers / TPX radar detector / D.I.D gold X chain / HVMP bar ends / RRG cooler guards / Wunderlich f&r fender extenders & big brake lever / Hepco and Becker stand enlarger / R&G f&r axle sliders / rim tape

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 11:06:16 PM »
How many km's on your new machine..?? The vibes do get a bit better with a few km's in the engine.

My new '17 did have a few vibes when new, but I've just passed 2000km and now that the engine is nicely run-in.... it's much improved, fuel economy has improved too, averaging 5.8L/100km now, for the first 1000km or so I was seeing 6.0-6.1 avg..... and although the vibes are still there, tbh they're not worth mentioning. Removed and refitted the bar isolation rubbers, torqued them up per specs and it has definitely improved....a set of heavier bar ends helps greatly too.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline roger z1b

• XR Member
  • Bike: gs lc / s1000xr
  • Town: wigan
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 11:07:53 PM »
Mine was also brand new this March, a 2017 model and first day out it was fine.  it then started with the vibes around 70mph.  i have ridden it for over 2000 miles now and it has definitely settled down.  in fact so much now that I never think about it.  Well, it's either that or the fact that I never go 70mph anymore...  Seriously tho', it is smoother now for sure.  as long as you notify the garage at first service and it's in your notes, you should  have grounds for having it corrected or amended at a later date I would have thought,  :821:

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 11:28:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by roger z1b [+]
Mine was also brand new this March, a 2017 model and first day out it was fine.  it then started with the vibes around 70mph.  i have ridden it for over 2000 miles now and it has definitely settled down.  in fact so much now that I never think about it.  Well, it's either that or the fact that I never go 70mph anymore...  Seriously tho', it is smoother now for sure.  as long as you notify the garage at first service and it's in your notes, you should  have grounds for having it corrected or amended at a later date I would have thought,  :821:

Yep...my experience exactly, I hardly notice now too....doesn't even cross my mind. :047:

Bike is absolutely awesome.....goes like stink, handles beautifully and gets more than 300km per tank....what more do you need..?? :028:

If people are in two minds about buying one...I'd say go for it... :001:

Smithy.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 11:30:35 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 06:59:38 AM »
Just to add my experience

On 2016, all as above, retro fit kit is available from Bm against your chassis number which comprises of thicker rubber bar to yoke 'padding'.
I'm also informed by the dealership the 2017 is suspected to have a heavier handle bar as it's a new part number.
Which dealership did it come from ?
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline Elvisto

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Audley, S-o-T
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 09:21:11 AM »
My XR, SE was delivered to me on the 31st March, I did notice the PDI had been carried out by BMW Distribution centreUK, not the dealer I bought it from, I've not had any vibes rattles or bangs which was quite a nice surprise after all the bad remarks I'd read about, I'm up to 2,800 miles now. the petrol consumption has been around the 189 miles to a tank full with 42 miles showing to fill up ,It came with Rosso 2s fitted and I'm well pleased with them,Most of my riding is done in North and Mid Wales and I don't use motorways, I have noticed the front tyre seems to be wearing a little uneven though,
This bike is the best put together, most exciting BMW I've ever had, and I've had them since 1963, It's pretty much perfect out of the box, but I must admit to buying farkles it didn't really need  :002: But I had to have :028:
It will be very interesting to see how BMW can keep improving this machine over the coming years , or maybe they can't ,
Adventure before dementia