Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: BMW Alarm system on new bike  (Read 3191 times)

Offline KSW

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: North Yorkshire
BMW Alarm system on new bike
« on: May 28, 2017, 08:10:53 PM »
Any one got the BMW alarm option fitted to the XR considering having one fitted are they easy to use and do they come with fobs ?

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
Re: BMW Alarm system on new bike
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 08:23:41 PM »
There are no fobs with it, you can set it so it arms itself as soon as the ignition is switched off.

Offline KSW

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 08:35:01 PM »
Thanks Bob S... Where abouts is the alarm unit fitted on the bike is it under the seat if so does it restrict putting anything else under there. I ask because I have not taken delivery of my XR yet and I am considering having one fitted before I take delivery.
Any more info is appreciated

Offline r15suk

• XR Member
  • Town: Reading
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 09:26:49 PM »
Yes it is under the seat and having one fitted does remove some storage space. Not that there is loads anyway.

Simon

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Town: England
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 04:47:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by KSW [+]
Any one got the BMW alarm option fitted to the XR considering having one fitted are they easy to use and do they come with fobs ?

Mine came with the alarm, so I didn't have to pay directly for it (thank god).  My opinion of it is unprintable without some toning down so here goes ! 
As has been correctly mentioned above it comes with no fobs for arming and disarming. It is passively armed and disarmed through the ignition switch.  For me this is real nuisance.  Unlike S1000XR riders in BMW's native Germany who all have triple garages and can ride in through the rear electric doors, park the bike up and grab a beer from their butler, or jump on the bike open the front electric doors and ride straight out onto the B500 - I cannot.  I have a single garage with 3 other different makes of bikes in it (Not BMW's, there are other motorcycle manufacturers? Really?) - I have to reverse the XR down the drive by the side of the house and turn it round so it's facing the road, once I've got the cover off it.  This is problematic without remote disarming.  The number of times I have set it off just removing the cover!  So what's the solution?  Turn on the ignition and wheel the bike out. Er, yes that worked until I was adjusting my grip wheeling it backwards and caught the starter button - that made me jump and I nearly dropped the bike.  Let's see what else:  To load the panniers sets it off, so I did it with the ignition on.  Except I went into the house to get some bits and pieces leaving the key in the ignition and the ignition on - security? what security?  The insurance company are going to love that! Believe me it easy to do. 
On Le Shuttle last week it was going off, where's the ferry mode? Nope, not got one. I met a bloke with a GS, he's got a ferry mode on his fob. Git!
Filling with fuel moving it from the side stand to the centre stand for a maximum fill, sets it off.  Do it with the ignition on.  There are other instances as well, but this post would just get tedious!
So what's to be done.  A call to the dealer - Ah yes we've had this issue, we can program a K1600 fob for you, GREAT! Hallelujah, all my problems solved. Phew!  They will do it for me at the service.  Bike goes in fora  service and I get a phone call.  We used to be able to program the K1600 remote but BMW have removed the option from the Technian's software - sorry.
I called BMW customer service and explained the situation - stupid f***** design, why did you take out the K1600 option blah blah blah, needless to say once I got past the bimbo on the phone - I still got nowhere!  I was sent the section of the manual about disabling the alarm (not disarming it) through the setup menu. Perhaps this is the answer, well in a way yes, it's 10 step process and 500 button presses (ok slight exaggeration). WTF, every time I need to touch the bike I have to go through that rigmarole? How do I do it with the cover on?    What a piece of crap.  Called customer service again and (again).  The reason why the K1600 option was removed was due to an "Executive Marketing decision".
I wrote to the MD of  BMW Mottrad UK and explained the issues and the "Executive Marketing decision", get it reversed now!  Fat chance - "Thank you for your letter, we've past your idea to the product design team for possible inclusion in the future" (or some such rubbish).
Having to move the bike around with ignition on is dangerous  - I could have been injured when I nearly dropped it, I wrote to the Vehicle Standards Agency about the alarm design.  I wasn't expecting much and I didn't get much.  "Motorcycles are inherently unstable......... blah blah blah".  I had hoped they might speak to  BMW, but no,  They did send me the section of the manual on how to disable the alarm though!  Thanks a bunch!

I then came up with a nifty ruse - put my alarm onto a K1600, program the remote fob, then put it back on my bike - But nooooooooo!  The alarm is coded to the ECU (apparently) and cannot be used on any other BMW in the known Universe. BOLLOCKS!

I've yet to decide what to do about this piece of junk that taking up space under my seat.  But it is a pain in the rear to say the least!

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 05:51:40 PM »

Just rang the dealership, can fit me in tomorrow...cheers Chris  :028:
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Town: England
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 05:53:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gatsoburner [+]
Just rang the dealership, can fit me in tomorrow...cheers Chris  :028:

If you get a remote - I'll be angry, BMW won't like me when I'm angry........

Offline KSW

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 08:52:50 PM »
WOW .... any one else experienced the same problems as Chis with the alarm ... if it's that bad I think I will forget it. :003:

Offline Ringmaster999

• XR Pro
  • Ride today like tomorrow may not come
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Vale of Glam.
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 10:16:35 PM »
I had an Alarm fitted on my 2017 bike and was surprised when it was delivered that there was no Alarm fob. In fact after the bike was delivered and I was going through everything and actually rang the dealer and said they had forgot to give me my fob :138: Only to be told no it's all done through the dash and yes it is pretty useless and as such mine is always set to OFF because of what Chris states
Live for today

Offline feeb

• XR Member
  • Town: Leslie, Fife
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 10:53:48 AM »
I wouldn't bother with a BMW alarm, not practical at all.

dysfunctional